Why Does my Topaz keep losing fire

Asked by Sep 30, 2012 at 11:30 AM about the 1993 Mercury Topaz 4 Dr GS Sedan

I have a 93 topaz, we have been stuck on this for about a month now we've replaced the firing coil an the distributor
plug modual and it acts the same as before we bought the cars, it willl want to crack up and run than die right out
my father even took the plug out and grounded it to get a fire and it would one minute and not the next, So the big
question is where on a mercury topaz does the coil get the power to seen to the distributor, is there a replay?? or
maybe another part before the coil thats not giving it power.  Thanks for your time!

6,635

Have your considered that it might be a fuel or air problem? Probably an air problem -- Idle Air control maybe? Maybe a vacuum line?

10

i have the very same problem with a 1999 cougar and no it is not fuel or air related it keeps burning the coil pack with out a question.