my 1990 mazda protege had bad gas put in it,i drained it out. put clean gas but it still wont start. and my battery is draining fast. whats wrong?

35

Asked by Feb 19, 2014 at 02:01 PM about the 1990 Mazda Protege 4 Dr SE Sedan

40,475

Did you change out your fuel filter? If so, I would then suspect a bad fuel pump. Have someone turn the key while you touch a screw driver to the bottom of your fuel tank. Put your ear on the screw driver handle and see if you can hear the fuel pump hum when the key is turned to the ON position. Also check for good spark. Your battery shouldn't be getting a draw from bad fuel. Battery may be too old. Probably getting weak from all the starting.

Best Answer
35

The fuel filter was new, do you think ishould still change it cause thebad gas?

40,475

How did you get bad gas? Did you pour something in from an old gas can or something? No, if filter is new, I would concentrate on the fuel pump. There are numerous other factors that could be stopping your car from starting. But since it was running fine until the bad gas was added, I would stick to gas related issues. Did you hear the fuel pump?

35

I got bad gas trying too get gas from sombody that gave me some. I had none andcouldnt pass,just didnt realize it was old gas. But guess what....I GOT IT STARTED!!!! Yeeee! There was soo much water in the old fuel it was still in the lines and on my spark plugs. So added some gas in with the plugs too get it started and it finaly pulled through! Thanks for the help!:-D :-D :-D :- D

40,475

Awesome! Glad you figured it out!