How much would I get from parting out 2 mustangs?

65

Asked by Oct 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM about the 1998 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

I have 2 mustangs, one is a 1970 coupe, the other is a 1989 convertible. I was wanting to
fix up the coupe but I have found that there is more work to be done than I have time for
and the knowledge how to fix. The convertible has a bad top, and the roof support is
broken. The good parts on the 70 is that it still has a fully working engine and
transmission. I have new drop pans for the gas tank, and a new seat pans. The good
parts on the coupe is that it has a working drivetrain with a 5 speed transmission with
overdrive and a dual posi. rear end with 4 almost new tires, I also have a new top for it.
How much could I possibly get if I parted the cars out?

65

Also both cars have dual exhaust from straight from the headers. I know the 89 has flow masters on it. I think the coupe has the factory exhaust, or anything too fancy.

24,045

ok- that's a lot of wonderin'- if you want to maximize your money you will wind up doin' a lot of work- how much your time and effort is worth is your call- I would minimize the time spent marketing and take whatever I could get quick- that means just selling the cars instead of parting- let the purchasers do the parting- unless the '70 is some kinda Boss 302 or somethin' a coupla stock standard Mustangs are not terribly valuable- put 'em in the paper or wherever and let somebody drag 'em away- parting is such sweet sorrow

65

The thing is I want to get the most money possible and to sell both cars as they are I'd be surprised to get over $2500. I'd be lucky to get more than $1500 for the coupe and asking over $1000 for a car with nothing special and no engine realistically isn't going to sell.

264,505

You are right on your assessment of the prices to sell as is. But you already answered your own question. You would probably make more money parting them out. It requires more time and a little more work, but it can be done. I can't put a number on it, because prices could be all over the place. Sell most of the parts what you can and if the body is still left, scrap it more $$$. Good luck.

65

I was looking for a more definite amount on what I could get for them. Either way what sells good off older cars? Things like radios, tires, seats, engines, exhausts, transmissions, rear differentials, ect.

264,505

Depends on who needs what. Frequent the classifieds on the mustang forums. www.corral.net...www.stangnet.com to name a couple. Craigslist might be a good place to sell as well, but watch for certain buyers. Check out www.ebaymotors.com for current asking prices. The heavier stuff like engines and trans, you won't be shipping.