He Guys!!How can I replace my fuel filter on a 1998 ford explorer xlt...if I can't start it to run out the pressure?

Asked by Sep 22, 2015 at 03:12 PM about the 1998 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT AWD SUV

246,205

The fuel filter isn't your issue if you can't start the car. Does the car crank? When you turn the ignition key to the "on" position, does the fuel pump prime?

Best Answer

Car..has been sitting a while ...started up few weeks prior when I replaced battery.....month later started again and then died after a bit...I believe fuel pump is working and the car cranks...I needed to replace filter when I bought the vehicle ...was having trouble getting the clips to release ...even with the special tool..... I have a good feeling that is the main issue.

19,310

If you are using the plastic tool in an attempt to expand the spring within the filter you are going to have a hard time, unless you have gorilla strength in your fingers. I purchased the metal tool with is longer and has somewhat of a handle on it so you can gain a little leverage. Try disconnecting the bracket which holds the filter in place first. It will allow you to position one end of the filter at an angle where you can get a little more leverage on it instead of trying to work in a tight space.

19,310

You are able to test the pressure with the key in the "on" position. If you need the reading on the correct pressure with the engine "off" and key in "on" position let me know. I have it written down somewhere, just have to find it.

Thanks..I'll try removing bracket like you said......I don't have the right tools though, to get a reading on pressure at the moment....If the the pressure happens to be correct though...what would that point to?

And also..still need to know how to relieve pressure fully without starting the vehicle....if there is a way?..Thanks

19,310

You can check and see if you are getting fire to the plugs. There is a device which looks like a spark plug to check for spark. YOu pull the wire off each plug, insert the device, have someone try to start the car. If you are getting spark you will see a light or flicker on the tip. Check each plug wire. No flicker, not enough power to fire the plug. You can relieve the pressure at the fitting where you check the pressure. If pressure is present you'll get a little gas spray, cover with a rag to prevent it from going everywhere.