Do I need to use the exact same size engine to replace mine?

5

Asked by Feb 01, 2012 at 02:49 PM about the 1999 Mazda Protege 4 Dr ES Sedan

I was driving to school on the interstate and my car made a pop and began to
smoke.  I feared the worst and my fears were realized.  I had managed to put a
connecting rod through the front of the engine block... now I need to replace it.  I
have a 99 Mazda protege es, 5-speed.  What size engine do i need to replace my
blown one?  Would it be better to find a used one or get a rebuilt one?  Does it
matter if the replacement engine was in an automatic or does it have to be manual?

25

Well, I guess the easiest way to answer your question is you should absolutely try and find an engine as close to the same one you have. Therefore, a manual, and the same size. then you dont put out the large number of bills for an engine you cant use. Im not 100% with mazda, but im pretty sure you should get a rebuilt/new engine since they have been known to blow (ex. you, and Mazda is owned by Ford now) Hope this helps :)

no it dont matter if the one you get was hooked to a auto or not.same size engine yes,97,98 99 model will fit.you can find good low milage motors in salvage yards.

265

if you never want a rod thrown in your car again get a rotary engine (rx7 or rx8 engine) they dont have rods, you will have to do some modifications to fit it in your car but you wont have to worry bout pistons and valves and springs in your engine ever again and ford as of this year is not a part of mazda their contract has ended. :)

1,325

In easy terms it's best to replace an engine with the exact same type. It doesn't matter if it was from a manual or auto as you're only using the engine and the not the gear box. Try to get a replacement with low millage or even best do a cam belt and gasket service so you'll have a long life.