How do I replace the power steering hose for a 95 Mazda Protege LX

Asked by Jan 11, 2016 at 12:37 PM about the 1995 Mazda Protege 4 Dr LX Sedan

My power steering is gone in my 95 Mazda Protege LX.  The metal hose is
rusted out in one spot and needs replacing so I can drive her.  Does anyone
know how to do this?

28,065

get a few line wrenches..and go to youtube and look it up..

That's your answer,WOW! Btw I did which is why I'm asking because there weren't any!

I’m sure you’ve changed it by now, but for others in the future. First determine if it’s the high-pressure or low-pressure return house you’re dealing with. You’ll know which one it is if it’s coming from the reservoir or not. I had to change the high pressure hose in my 92. There are several articles and videos on how to identify which one it is and how to change it. Either one is fairly easy. More than likely you’ll need to have the high- pressure hose ordered, if that’s the one you need, because I found they did not keep it in stock at any of the local parts store. I ordered mine off of Amazon. However, if you need it quicker, you can have a local hydraulic shop rebuild one for you, metal ends and all Also, if it’s the low pressure one, you could do a repair yourself and buy bulk hose. Cut off section of metal, attach. Use hacksaw, etc if need be. There are tutorials on this as well, just Google how to repair whichever hose it is; low/high. You cannot use just any hose if it’s the high- pressure, hence the name, it has to be able to hold a great amount of pressure!! If the section needing replaced is in the actual hose, you can cut the section out and use a hose mender and it will hold the pressure. Just be sure to use good clamps and don’t over tighten them. Be mindful of this when replacing as well. Also, be sure to get all of the air out of the system once you replace it. There are several suggested methods out there on the net. I did something like turned my wheel all of the way to each side for few seconds, shut off, etc. I hope this helps, it’s the best I can remember off the top of my head. I had to research quite a bit to learn about it, was a little apprehensive since I knew absolutely nothing about power steering, but it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be.