yesterday I had the timing belt done in my 2002 Mazda 626, and my mechanic said he changed the water pump too

Asked by Feb 25, 2016 at 02:37 PM about the 2002 Mazda 626 LX V6

today the car started smoking the temp gauge went to high and now stalled
out, now my mechanic says my radiator cracked. is this a related issue? did
he mess something up?

69,475

Chances are he sure did. Smokin out the exhaust? Bad news.

yes, it was. I was very near the shop so I went straight there, but the radiator went, it was smoking. What damage do you think this could have done?

69,475

You now have a warped head that would have to be taken off, machined flat, and reinstalled. Radiator would need to be replaced. I assume it wasn't smoking out the exhaust when you brought it there?

he said the head gasket is ok, he checked it and replaced the radiator. Road tested and it is ok now. No, it was not smoking out of the exhaust, no just the radiator. He is saying the repair is not related to this problem because the timing belt and water pump are on the right side of the car and not where the radiator is located. Should I take it somewhere else to have the head checked?

Obviously I am done with this mechanic, but I live far away and will be driving home in the dark later, really worried about breaking down?

69,475

Not being there is hard not seeing what is going on. It sounds like he took care of it, he probably didn't purge the cooling system from air when refilling. Just guessing. Sounds like you should be ok, As far as the head, just keep an eye on the exhaust for white smoke, keep checking the oil once a day for a while to make sure your not gaining in the oil level, meaning coolant getting into the oil, and check the radiator when its cold to see if any oil is seeping into it, and an eye on the temperature gauge. These are signs of a blown head gasket.

Best Answer

Ok, I will and thank you for taking the time to help me.

69,475

Your most welcome...