Why wont my windows roll up or down in my 98' ford explorer eddie bauer edition?

TimMac
180

Asked by Dec 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM about the 1998 Ford Explorer 4 Dr Eddie Bauer 4WD SUV

All fuses are good, all windows stopped working. Sunroof still works, wipers, dome light, etc etc etc.

20,755

Usually it's the Master Switch (Driver's side window switch). That's the most common failure anyway.

can you roll them down from any of the other switches? passenger side from passenger side switch?

TimMac
180

No, none of the switches are working. I tried passenger side and the two back seat windows.

there a fuse block under the hood di you happen to check that?

TimMac
180

yep already checked that. My driver window is stuck partially down

have you checked to see if your getting power to the drivers side main switch?

TimMac
180

That's the next step, didn't really want to pull it off if I didn't have to but I guess I have to now.

ok

TimMac
180

I have no power going to the main switch. what wire is the hot wire? I cant find a wiring diagram anywhere

make sure you have a good ground check it off the fuse in the panel. if still no power then might wanna get a test light and check the fuses that relate with it. I will ask a couple buddys that might know and get back to the site. there is a issue where the wires come out of the body and go into the door with wires because of bad rubber boots and metal cutting or pealing the rubber coating off from laying on the metal.

TimMac
180

Yeah I was gonna check in the boot but I have no juice coming into the switch at all that's why I was trying to figure out what color the hot wire is. I checked power to all the fuses and I have power. I have power on both sides. and cool cool thank you.

TimMac
180

Blue with a Black stripe is the hot. Found it broken in the boot. :) Problem solved. thank you for your help.

glad to hear....

Jiban
70

Hi guys, I have ford explorer 03 which the driver rear window recently won't roll up and down. There is power coming because when I press the window button (up and Down) I can hear a click with the window movement, but couldn't go up & down. Please shoot me any info how to fix this problem. Thank you and hope to hearing from you guys soon.

Ron Glass
20

My 06 explorer passenger window wouldn't go up. I swapped the wires on the motor and got the window up.

Jiban
70

Thanks Ron. You were right! I got to see the problem which the wire jammed and wouldn't go back and forth. I removed the whole object including the motor and was able to got the window up.

RBridge3
40

My 2000 Ford Explorer none of the Windows will roll up or down. All fuses have power and all controls have power. But still won't roll either direction. The passenger side rear view mirror was replaced and that's when all the windows stopped working, but disconnecting the mirror doesn't fix it either. Dome light is also out but as stated previously, all fuses have power and are intact. Please help!?!

RBridge3
40

Have yet to take off the drivers side door panel and check power to controls but I haven't even touched that side, why would it be disconnected. Only side I've touched is passengers

cmeyers003
10

RBridge3... I am having the same exact issue on the same exact car after replacing the same exact mirror!!! We too have power to the switches, and fuses are good. the fuse for the windows is the same fuse for the power seat which works fine. Im stumped here. Were you able to find an answer?

Sheryl Balandran
20

I have an 06 explorer. All the windows go down except the front passenger side. Could it be a fuse or how could I check for other issues?

JerryV310
30

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer limited. After trying to remove the middle center light I touched something that shut it off now the Windows won't roll up or down. Did I possibly mess up the entire electrical? Any easy possible solutions or just take it in at this point?

AlCH3MlST
10

JerryV310. I had the same problem after reinstalling my headliner. Someone on a different site said it was Fuse 27 that had blown. I found it to be fuse 26 (according to my 1998 eddie bauer Ford Exploder manual.) I hope you found the problem well before this but I wanted to post for people with the same problem.

Cmbamb2020
10

I got a question my 1996 Ford explorer front window on both front don't work but the motor work the back window work fine........what do I do

20,755

If the motors run but the glass doesn't move, replace the gear kits in the motors. If the motors don't run, check fuses

funjumper
0

It seems that the wiring harness passing through the rubber door jam boot is too tight. As the door opens and closes this eventually causes some of the wires to break, they may also become intermittent at times which is why once in a while your windows will start to work for short time and then stop. This may effect your door locks or any combination of windows depending on which wire is broken. You can often pull this boot back and inspect the wires, pulling on each one slightly can show you which is broken. Maybe able to solder new wire in between or may have to pull door cover off to get to them

Trefor Gordon
0

I had the same problem. My driver window on my 1998 Mercury Mountaineer stopped working, but I could bear a click each time I pressed the button. I found a YouTube video that said a common problem in older fords is the window motor gets stuck. l did what he did and fixed my stuck window motor. Take off the door panel. Find where the window motor is bolted to the door. Take a hammer and hit the metal of the door. Not too hard, but give it 2 or 3 solid whacks. If your problem is a stuck window motor then it will start working after that. This technique saved me at least $100.