Why wont my windows roll up or down in my 98' ford explorer eddie bauer edition?

490

Asked by TimMac Dec 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM about the 1998 Ford Explorer 4 Dr Eddie Bauer 4WD SUV

All fuses are good, all windows stopped working. Sunroof still works, wipers, dome light, etc etc etc.

41,855

Usually it's the Master Switch (Driver's side window switch). That's the most common failure anyway.

4,725

can you roll them down from any of the other switches? passenger side from passenger side switch?

490

No, none of the switches are working. I tried passenger side and the two back seat windows.

4,725

there a fuse block under the hood di you happen to check that?

490

yep already checked that. My driver window is stuck partially down

4,725

have you checked to see if your getting power to the drivers side main switch?

490

That's the next step, didn't really want to pull it off if I didn't have to but I guess I have to now.

490

I have no power going to the main switch. what wire is the hot wire? I cant find a wiring diagram anywhere

4,725

make sure you have a good ground check it off the fuse in the panel. if still no power then might wanna get a test light and check the fuses that relate with it. I will ask a couple buddys that might know and get back to the site. there is a issue where the wires come out of the body and go into the door with wires because of bad rubber boots and metal cutting or pealing the rubber coating off from laying on the metal.

490

Yeah I was gonna check in the boot but I have no juice coming into the switch at all that's why I was trying to figure out what color the hot wire is. I checked power to all the fuses and I have power. I have power on both sides. and cool cool thank you.

490

Blue with a Black stripe is the hot. Found it broken in the boot. :) Problem solved. thank you for your help.

4,725

glad to hear....

410

Hi guys, I have ford explorer 03 which the driver rear window recently won't roll up and down. There is power coming because when I press the window button (up and Down) I can hear a click with the window movement, but couldn't go up & down. Please shoot me any info how to fix this problem. Thank you and hope to hearing from you guys soon.

60

My 06 explorer passenger window wouldn't go up. I swapped the wires on the motor and got the window up.

410

Thanks Ron. You were right! I got to see the problem which the wire jammed and wouldn't go back and forth. I removed the whole object including the motor and was able to got the window up.

160

My 2000 Ford Explorer none of the Windows will roll up or down. All fuses have power and all controls have power. But still won't roll either direction. The passenger side rear view mirror was replaced and that's when all the windows stopped working, but disconnecting the mirror doesn't fix it either. Dome light is also out but as stated previously, all fuses have power and are intact. Please help!?!

160

Have yet to take off the drivers side door panel and check power to controls but I haven't even touched that side, why would it be disconnected. Only side I've touched is passengers

60

RBridge3... I am having the same exact issue on the same exact car after replacing the same exact mirror!!! We too have power to the switches, and fuses are good. the fuse for the windows is the same fuse for the power seat which works fine. Im stumped here. Were you able to find an answer?

170

I have an 06 explorer. All the windows go down except the front passenger side. Could it be a fuse or how could I check for other issues?

110

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer limited. After trying to remove the middle center light I touched something that shut it off now the Windows won't roll up or down. Did I possibly mess up the entire electrical? Any easy possible solutions or just take it in at this point?

40

JerryV310. I had the same problem after reinstalling my headliner. Someone on a different site said it was Fuse 27 that had blown. I found it to be fuse 26 (according to my 1998 eddie bauer Ford Exploder manual.) I hope you found the problem well before this but I wanted to post for people with the same problem.

50

I got a question my 1996 Ford explorer front window on both front don't work but the motor work the back window work fine........what do I do

41,855

If the motors run but the glass doesn't move, replace the gear kits in the motors. If the motors don't run, check fuses

20

It seems that the wiring harness passing through the rubber door jam boot is too tight. As the door opens and closes this eventually causes some of the wires to break, they may also become intermittent at times which is why once in a while your windows will start to work for short time and then stop. This may effect your door locks or any combination of windows depending on which wire is broken. You can often pull this boot back and inspect the wires, pulling on each one slightly can show you which is broken. Maybe able to solder new wire in between or may have to pull door cover off to get to them

20

I had the same problem. My driver window on my 1998 Mercury Mountaineer stopped working, but I could bear a click each time I pressed the button. I found a YouTube video that said a common problem in older fords is the window motor gets stuck. l did what he did and fixed my stuck window motor. Take off the door panel. Find where the window motor is bolted to the door. Take a hammer and hit the metal of the door. Not too hard, but give it 2 or 3 solid whacks. If your problem is a stuck window motor then it will start working after that. This technique saved me at least $100.

After replacing fuses and everything else and it don't work you might try to take the battery terminal off and put it back on to reset the computer. Then it might work. It won't work for wore out window motors tho.

50

Check your relay under the dash. Relay Box #4. It has 5 relays that run most accessories. I know this because I have a battery draw, & found that the top left relay was getting hot, causing the battery draw. When I disconnected it, the power windows, dome light, & 4X4 lights are flashing now.

40

I have a 97' explorer . Dome lights from front and back won't turn on and the driver and passenger window stopped going up altogether. Please help

20

Fuse #26 is the interior livhts ALSO controls power windows!!!!! 2000 ford explorer xlt

I own a 1998 Ford Explorer xlt and all at once the windows, ac and wipers stopped working. They start back periodically. but will not work consistantly. Please help.

50

has anyone seen on a 1998 Explorer where the pw/pl don't work and on the dash the 4wd light will flash. If you try to turn switch to 4x4 it won't engage

I have a 99 ford explorer sport two wheel drive 5 speed and the right signal wont work and ive changed dimmer switch after switch please help

10

i have a 99 ford explorer but i had to put a 96 model door on its and im short one wire

50

O I have a 1999 Ford explorer electric windows none of my windows will roll down is there a way to bypass the driver's window to get it to go down at least