FINAL DRIVE IN TRANS AXLE IS BAD ~ How to fix/cost?

Asked by May 04, 2012 at 07:08 PM about the 1994 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Signature Sedan

94 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL SIGNATURE SERIES 129K 3.8L ENGINE. EXCELLENT PAINT AND BODY. STRONG ENGINE.
" FINAL DRIVE IN TRANS AXLE IS BAD". YOU CAN BUY TO REPAIR AND DRIVE OR USE FOR PARTS.
ALL ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT IS GOOD SHAPE, TIRES FAIR, HAS ALUMINUM ALLOY WHEELS. TRANSMISSION
WAS REBUILT 15K AGO AND WAS SHIFTING EVEN AS THE FINAL DRIVE WAS FAILING.

This is the ad I'm looking at getting in another state. How much would it cost to fix this and where do I get the parts to fix this? I'm mechanically inclined to a point but not about trans axles. I need to get an answer by tonight, since I'm driving tomorrow in that direction...

257,425

Since the work that was done 15K miles ago didn't fix the problem, I'd be 100% sure your going to have to do some transmission work on the vehicle. If your mechanic is going to rip it apart, anyone will tell you that it's best to rebuild the whole thing if your taking it apart. By final drive, I'm assuming overdrive, and that band wears down, but so soon? So a trans rebuild will be around $1500 more or less. You can try to find one from a auto recycler/junkyard, but it's hit or miss. I'd stay home tomorrow. Good Luck!

Thanks. I remember that the cost of rebuilding a transmission is high as you say. I can't believe that that's 'still' a problem if it was done 15K ago though. It doesn't make sense. If you want to see the ad I'm looking at --> http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2938626236.html there you go.