Any ideas?

Asked by May 03, 2017 at 01:44 PM about the 2000 Lincoln Continental FWD

My 2000 continental was running beautifully and
only has about 72,000 miles on it. Recently the car
seems to shake a bit when you drive it and once
your done  accelerating there is some white smoke.
The car runs fine when it sits in the driveway but
when I take it for a ride it feels like it's gonna stall
and the RPM goes really low sometimes. When it
does this I press on the gas petal and the car
remains at the same rpm and doesn't go any faster.
I have no idea what this could be. Any ideas?

121,475

White smoke is never good, it usually means that coolant is getting into the combustion chambers, coolant can also mess up O2 sensors, catalytic converters, etc. so take it too a shop you trust and tell them what your seeing and how it is running, they will most likely do a block check first.

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah I was gonna bring it to a shop near my place but wasent sure if there was anything I could check before sending it off. It's not throwing out tons of smoke but it's enough that I can see. Would that have anything to do with the slight shaking and accerelating problem tho? Hopefully they can fix it without any problems.

120,645

If the CEL is on have the trouble codes read and I suspect a bad ignition coil but a bad head gasket could also cause your problems.

Yeah there's no check engine light on or anything. I hooked up the code reader to see if anything was pending but there's nothing. Like I said it was running great and one day I took it for a ride and all that stuff happened.

120,645

Bummer. I would do a compression test to check for head gasket leaks. Also take a look at the spark plugs which should give you some clues.

Okay, thanks for the reply

121,475

This early in the game I doubt if a compression test will show anything, if you were going to do something like that yourself get a cooling system pressure tester and pump the pressure up to what is stamped on the cap and see him ow long it holds pressure, if it bleeds off fairly quickly then keep adding pressure for about 3 or 4 sessions, then remove the spark plugs and crank,the engine over and see how many cylinders push out coolant, and then you have your answer, blown headgaskets or worse case cracked heads but you stated that it was running fine so that would be on the back burner for now.

Okay, thanks for the extra info on what you think I should do. Hopefully I can get this resolved quickly