1999 Ford Ranger A/C Not Working

40

Asked by Aug 19, 2014 at 03:44 PM about the 1999 Ford Ranger XLT Standard Cab LB

Hi Ford Ranger Family,

I need some serious advise. I live in Miami, Florida. SUPER HOT & HUMMID! My A/C gave out yesterday!!!
I am a weekend mechanic and have some mechanical and electronically knowledge of repairing vehicles that I have picked up throughout the years. But this has me super puzzled. In the morning my A/C was working just fine. I disconnected my battery, changed my oil, swapped out the temperature gauge sensor on the manifold with a new one & reconnected my battery back up. Jumped in the truck, started it up to check if the temperature gauge would work now that a new sensor was installed (reason for new sensor, truck always read cold, never made it past first line). And being temperatures outside are in the high 90's this time of year, cranked on my A/C on high and only got hot air.

Okay, so if I leave A/C turned on high, turn off the vehicle and turn it back on, the compressor turns on for like 2 to 4 seconds and disengages. If I jump the compressor with power straight to the battery it engages and I have cold air. I thought it could be the low pressure sensor because I jumped the plug once and the compressor came on. So I changed it out. Nothing! So I tried to jump it again on the low pressure switch and now it has no power. I have checked all the fuses under hood and in cabin, all good. I even disconnected my battery again for 20 minutes and reconnected it thinking it might be the computer needed resetting, nothing. I bought a can of 134 and connected the hose with gauge that came with it to the low end and it read over 100. I don't know if the gauge was wrong or what. Any ideas would seriously help.

Does anyone know if it can be one of the resistors in the fuse box under the hood? And if so, how would I check them? There is two sizes. The bigger one reads, FOAB 14B192-AA 8240-2 20 2R and the smaller one reads F576-14B192-AA.

Oh yeah, one more thing, now my check engine light is one and it wont shut off.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions or info you can advise, thank you.

Carlos

69,645

I think you are low on freon,did you add any?

Yeah, 100 on the low side is way too high. Most cars 20-40psi.@ 2000 rpm. @90 degrees ambient. With the CEL on get an OBD scan, might help point you in right direction

40

Hi T_S_T, I tried adding Freon. But since the compressor does not start, it reads high in pressure and does not suck the Freon out of the can.

40

Hi FordNut, I am sorry, I am a weekend mechanic and don't understand what you mean by, With the CEL on get an OBD scan. Thank you guys for your help.

69,645

Fordnut mean,s go have it scanned for obd code,s,will let you no why that engine light is on.All so check the ac relay under hood again,may be bad,or could be bad pressure switch.

Thanks for the back-up pal.

40

I took it to Advanced Auto Parts today and a coincidence the plug under my dash would not recognize the computer. I read up on line it is linked to the cigarette lighter. I checked and i must have removed that fuse for something or another and never put in a new one. I just replaced the fuse and will go back tomorrow to the auto parts to see what codes i pull up. Thanks again. I will keep you posted on outcome.

40

Okay I am back, First I want to thank you guys for taking the time to chat with me and provide some usefull knowledge. Here is what happened. The sensor I had been sold by AutoZone was for the gauge. I had asked them for the temperature sensor. So I installed it in the temperature sensors slot. I was not aware that the temperature sensor sends a signal to the trucks computer. That through my a/c out and truck was running like crap. I moved that sensor into the rite slot for the gauge today and purchased the correct temperature sensor, installed it as well and everything seems to be okay now. I guess you got to trip and fall to learn to get up. Thank again.