jeep turns off while driving,

Asked by May 20, 2015 at 02:04 PM about the 1994 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr SE 4WD

driving and jeep dies and slows  to a halt ,   already replaced in line fuel filter no
help

865

check the crank sensor

235

check the mass airflow meter

525

i had the same exact problem it is the positive wire goin from your battery to your starter

385

Check the crank position sensor...

1,020

Several things can cause this but if your jeep has 100,000 miles or more there is a good chance that it is being cause by the screw in the front plate of the computer. IF it just quits while going down the road, or if it starts running rough while at an idle then quits it could be this problem. It will also crank right back up sometimes or it may take 10 minutes or longer. To correct the problem remove the reservoir on the passenger side. The computer mounts to the firewall directly behind the reservoir. Remove the screw on outboard side directly below the left wiring harness connector. IT is about ½” long. Using a good pair of cutters cut half the length of the screw off. Reinstall the screw and snug it down (do not over tighten). Enjoy your jeep. Jcdmtw@gmail.com

100

Check the 02 sensors, a shorted heater will caise it to shutdown randomly/

150

We just had this happen with our 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 2 mechanics got to the cam sensor but it kept happening. Finally got a 3rd mechanic to check it and he replaced the crank sensor and got all the codes cleared. Back on the road again!

210

fuel filter changed crank sensor changed distributor worked on

135

Maybe its the hight temperature of the air in the motor. Yuo must design some ventilations...my truck did the same thing. Until I did some modifications.

110

i have tried crank positioning sensor , and then relays, then i have been cleaning all the grounds and any connections associated with the ignition area that i can find

120

Try changing the throttle position sensor located on the throttle body. Pull throttle body off 4 bolts disconnect the 3 wires clean throttle body with throttle body spray or carb spray. Spray the other sensor clean to a shine. My jeep was doing same thing no more problems. Hope this helps let me know.

190

I drive a 2004 jeep liberty and I have replaced the crank,throttle position,and the 02 senser and its still doing it

1,290

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6L. It started to hesitate and then shut off suddenly while driving about a week ago. This started after the cooling fan went out and was replaced. We've now changed replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, throttle position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, fuel pump relay sensor and a new battery. We did an oil change and tune up about 2months ago. We've taken it to 2 mechanics and now a third and no one seems to know what is wrong even after hooking it up to the computer. Any suggestions?

360

I have a 1990 jeep cherokee laredo and it starts but when I press on the gas it makes a clunk sound and spudders and kills. Any advise would be great

1,040

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee turns off while driving

180

My 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee just started stalling while driving this week. It would stall while driving and then it wouldn't crank at all. I thought it was bad gas so I added Sea Foam and it started right up. But, that after a few minutes it died again. I had it towed to a shop today and they said it was a crank sensor. It was a lot less expensive than the fuel pump they kept insisting it was. I've had no problems since. It only took them 2 1/2 hours to order part and install.

530

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it stalled on the road several times while driving. It just turned off. IAfter researching online I decided to change the Crank Position Sensor and have had no more stalls. However it is now running very rough when idling at stop lights and it just does not seem to have as much power. It has also made a poping sound under the hood. The longer I drive it in town the worse it gets. It runs great on the open road. What do you think it is?

80

I had the same problem with my 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 177k miles it starting shutting off while running. The computer in the auto parts gave me 90 possible problems, I minus well buy a new car with the $ I was going to spend. I called the JEEP dealer and they said that they would not charge me for the diagnostic if it was something simple. Since the problem wasn't continuous they had to keep it over night until the problem occurred so they charged me 85.00. Finally it did while connected to their computer and it was the Crank position sensor. The dealer was going to charge me 325.00 to do the job but I got the part for 90.00 on ebay. The tech told me that please if I was going to do it myself to not buy cheap parts and buy the original MOPAR ones. The dealer had them for 180.00 but he told me as long as it was Mopar original I could buy it anywhere He mentioned that I could get one for 20 bucks on line but he does not recommend it. I changed it a week ago and thank God its running like a champ. This was a very frustrating problem. Even though the dealer ended up charging me to check it I recommend you take it to the dealer to avoid guessing. The tech told me that he was 100% sure that the problem was that sensor

180

Thanks! I found a garage near my house and they didn't charge me to run a diagnostic and it was the crank sensor as well! They charged me $200 (parts and labor) and it's been running well.

240

Don't pay all that money to have your crankshaft position sensor replaced. You can do it yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q2Q4X-RP3s

90

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it just shuts off and back on while Im driving, its now just starting up whenever the hell it wants, put the key in a click, then try it again and starts right back up. I found a recall for the ignition switch, but the part won't be made available until mid september. This is a Huge safety issue and they are just dragging their feet.

440

Changed crank sensor wires and plugs still won't start...... Any help please????

170

I have a 1994 jeep Cherokee sport 4wheel drive. I get up to 35mph and it cuts out spits and spudders and back fires. Iv changed fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator, spark plugs, crank sensors. Iv taken throttle body off and cleaned it and cleaned all sensors as well. Iv done just about everything and still can't figure it out. Anybody have an idea on what it might be? Tired of fighting with it !

60

after changing fuel pump and filter it was the crank sensor on my 2002 grand cherokee

20

My carb floater was stuck wide open pouring gas into carb. Did a rebuild and problem went away for a while. Your engine could be choking on gas. Then it only did it when it rained. Changed distributor cap and it stopped being moisture sensitive. Still have trouble getting started. No not the starter. It feels like gas isn't getting up to the carb.

100

check the float adjustment make sure the float needle is not sticking in the bore

250

PLEASE HELP!! I have a 1999 jeep Cherokee and when i am a going from a dead stop to about 25mph it will sometime stall and then shut down. i then am usually sitting in the middle of the road trying to throw it into park and restart the engine before i get into a car accident. it has been happening more and more often. since i am a college student i live about 300 miles from home so i'm not really able to drive home to my local mechanic. and giving that i am a college student i am also broke, so i'm looking for has had this problem and might be able to help me out before i am left walking everywhere.

60

I am glad to see I am not the only one experiencing this problem. Thank you all for your advise. I was told it may be the crank sensor, I hope that's all it is, because stalling out at 11:30pm on a dark road with your 15 year old daughter on the curb of a major highway is not something I want to ever happen again.

220

the jeep i been working on seven days straight changed everything but the title....wont stay running cuts off unexpected, no warning..all new parts..apparently i wasnt the only one...

220

I tried the two screws in the computer thing tonight. My poor ol jeep..I changed, everything... except the computer and the fuel pump. all the sensors, cap, pick up coil, button, all the throttle sensors, catalytic converter, fuel filter, if shortening those two screws in the computer works tomorrow I will be stunned.. I changed everything but the logos on the side that said Jeep.. lol.. ill be posting what happens soon..

220

I HAVE TO SAY AND LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY PEOPLE WITH 96 JEEP PROBLEMS.... that idea about shortening the screws in the computer,,,,WORKS...it actually WORKS.. I changed everything..AND i MEAN everything on the jeep...THANK YOU AND BEYOND FOR THIS PAGE... it seems dumb..BUT IT ACTUALLY WORKS... stop buying parts and DO IT.. save yourself a boat load of money..

20

Plug in a decent code reader like a Mac Mentor, (the cheap 40$ ones from autozone doesnt give realtime data) you should be able to tell right away if its the cam or crank sensor, and what cyls if any are mis firing. Usualy the shutdown is a combination of a bad coil pack/plugs and crank pos sensor. The cam sensor is cheap to buy and easy to replace. The crank sensor is not, make sure you dont buy the cheapest one you can get, because they are hard to change and you will have to change it right after install because they are junk. I got my 3rd one from Summit Racing, it fixed the problem. Make sure you reset the computer after install, so it learns how to run with the new components. There is a procedure you can google if you dont want or have a scantool to reset it.

240

you all should do this

240

over 1 year now with no problems ... $3.00 fix lol ace hardware large strap ties -heavy duty ties pull real dam tight with pliers

20

It depends how it's dying, but if it's going say from 2000 rpm to zero all at once the cam sensor (which is actually in the distributor) and the coil should both be replaced as the first attempt. (99 and earlier in-line 6's only, I don't know what the v-8's and such have). I don't know why the cam sensor is so finicky, but in the old days we all knew about coils breaking. The high voltage coil is of very thin wiring and if there is a weak spot it can break. The coil may still work when it is cool but when it gets hot a gap may develop which prevents the electricity from doing it's thing. No electricity goes directly from the battery to the spark plugs. The electricity goes to a fairly resilient thick wired coil that generates a large magnetic field, and the fluctuations in this magnetic field create the high voltage in the other side of the coil. If one of the wires in the coil breaks (almost always high voltage side), strange things happen. I'm not sure why the cam sensor is so fragile, but a mechanic told me if you are replacing one replace them both. Might help but with cars being so electronic now there is so many things that can go wrong. My jeep, none of the buttons would work for power windows except the driver's side controls. I found a video online that showed how to take the switch apart and re-solder the circuit board and problem fixed. I think it's quite possible many of the solder connections are prone to stress fractures like this switch was. So it means all modern cars are basically useless after 20 years even with good maintenance because of all the electronics.

30

Changed cam/crank/idle air/throttle body sensors and pcv value, still cuts off randomly but always starts back up. 99 grand Cherokee v8????

10

I have changed all censors and pcm 2013 hit a bump,(hard) lol and now back to cutting off after 7-10 mins. I would like to sell my 4x4 for 2000 o/b/o. So many new parts! 267 k. breaks my ❤ to sell.good truck. Fayetteville n.c.

30

Wow. I was going to change the pcm but dealer said it wasn't the issue. Yes, looks like I'm going get rid of ol' betsy may check out one the regulators and see what happens, the last heehaaa!

240

Replace the oxygen sensor closest to the exhaust manifold or unplug it and test drive to see if it runs better first

240

Had the same problem aftermarket O2 sensors only last a little while just by unplugging it make the truck run a million times better

30

Thanks, will try it.

20

my 2004 jeep cherokee has 90k on it, the engine runs perfect until recently it stalled and the engine light came on, it restarted after 10 seconds, then a bit down the road, it did it again, the funny thing was before stalling the rpm gauge would shoot up to 2500 rpm without the engine reeving up, i disconnected the battery cables and reconnected, the engine light went off and it ran fine for about 40 miles, then did the same thing again. Im thinking a sensor problem, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, i live far away from a jeep dealership.

30

Idle air control sensor and probably throttle body position sensor

Anyone reading this try to change the Crankshaft Position Sensor! I did so on my 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee that kept shutting off while I was driving and now it runs great!!

15

The Voo Doo fix works and so simple! 1) 1996 JGC, 4L. About four years ago I had the engine stall problem just like all the previous descriptions. I cleaned the three ECM connectors with toothbrush and CRC QD quick drying connector cleaner. Both sides. Tie wrapped the connectors to the ECM and worked for four years without a problem. 2) Fast forward to today. 261K miles on the Jeep. Identical symptoms and getting worse by the day. So I thought I just needed to clean the connectors and replaced the tie wraps. Did NOT work!!! So since I knew the problem was in the that area I took the Vood Doo advice and backed out the two #15 Torx screws on the left and right side on the FACE of the ECM. Works perfectly!!!!!. I recommend to do all of the above. Do not just put in parts until you have done the above!

20

I had the exact same problem: the engine would just randomly turn off while driving or even sitting still. I replaced the crank sensor, but it didn't fix the problem. I tried the "Voo Doo" fix and it worked perfectly. 1) Removed the coolant overflow reservoir (3 10mm bolts). 2) Unclipped the 3 large connectors that plug into the computer on the firewall. 3) Removed the two #15 Torx screws and cut them in half using a hack saw and a vice. 4) Reinstalled the Torx screws without over tightening. 5) Reinstalled the 3 electrical connections to the computer. 6) I used some really long zip ties to wrap around the computer box and pull electrical connectors close. See Steve's picture above. 7) Reinstalled the coolant overflow tank. I have had no problems at all since doing this crazy repair.

10

replaced a faulty throttle position sensor with a napa one.i ran good for me or my daughter but always stalled on my wife?i drove it my mechanic drove it no problem.she drives it boom stall.changes to a mopar throttle sensor problem gone.jeeps are fussy and wifes driving habits caused aftermarkey part to fail.only use oem parts .

10

IF YOU CHANGE ANY ELECTRICAL PART MAINLY SENSORS YOU MUST USE ONLY ORIGINAL MANUFACTURED MOPAR PARTS OR YOU ARE GOING TO WASTE YOUR MONEY!! NOW THATI HAVE CHAGED OUT MY AFTERMARKET PARTS MY JEEP RUNS PERFECT AGAIN!! I LIVED THIS NIGHTMARE

10

JUST BECAUSE YOUR SCAN TOOL SAYS SOMETHING DON'T MAKE THAT THE PROBLEM.IF YOUR VEHICLE STALLS THE FIRST MAYBE CODES ARE MAF OR MAP.POOR TRANSMISSION SHIFTS AND ERATIC IDLING AND STALLING CAN BE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR.NEVER USE ANYTHING BUT MOPAR PARTS /ORIGINAL OEM PARTS OR YOU WILL NEVER BE HAPPY.JEEPS DON'T LIKE AFTERMARKET ELECTRICAL PART'S THEY JUST DON'T COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER PROPERLY.DON'T TRY TO SAVE A BUCK AND DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!! I WENT THROUGH THIS FOR MONTHS TILL I CHANGED OUT THE NEW AFTERMARKET PARTS WITH OEM NOW SHE RUNS PERFECT AGAIN. NO MORE STALLING

Hi everyone! These solutions seem very promising for my problem (2004 grand cherokee). But no one has mentioned all of my symptoms: -Engine turns off and on (right back) while driving, or completely dies if parked. No problem to turn it on again. -Dashboard dies: all gauges fall, even RPM. O/d button resets if activated. -Headlights and radio stay on, no change during the stalls. Only dashboard lights and gauges briefly die. What I have done: -already changed CPU and Crank position sensor. problem persists. -battery works fine even after long periods of no use. HELP!!!! please!

10

Above - Same jeep, same issue here. Was told to check the vacuum hoses for leaks. Starting with the end connector under battery tray.

My daughter has this problem but after getting her oil changed it goes away. It happened again and it was time for an oil change. Not sure it's connected but changing the oil fixes it temporarily or at least until time for another oil change.