Can you add trans fluid through dipstick pipe rather than pumping it up through the transmission pan on a 1999 ford explorer?

Asked by Aug 07, 2016 at 08:42 PM about the 1999 Ford Explorer 2 Dr Sport SUV

If it has a dipstick pipe you can add fluid there. Be careful and do not overfill.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thank you Bob. I do believe I have overfilled it. Should I remove the pan to drain? I don't see a plug on the pan in order to let trans fluid out.

You can get a syphon and use a hose diameter to fit down the dipstick tube to suck out what you need.

Great thanks!

Siphon out the extra fluid from the fill tube on the passenger side of the vehicle near the firewall. You may have to use a couple to reduce the size of the tubing to get down into the pan area. The opening at the bottom is just large enough to allow the dip stick to enter. Check fluid level when hot as it expands under driving conditions.

Can you tell me where this part (pictured) goes? It was in my drain pan after I removed the transmission oil pan. Thank you.

I've seen similar items, different shapes, in the pan of other Ford Transmissions. If I am correct it is inserted into the filler neck of the transmission (from the bottom inside) when the vehicle is assembled at the factory. When the dip stick is inserted, it shoves it out into the pan. This would indicate the transmission fluid and the filter has not been changed seventeen years. Buy a filter.

Yes, you are correct. Did some more research that is exactly what I found out. Replacing filter. Thanks!

OJ is correct, that is a plug used to close off the filler hole until a dipstick and tube is installed at the factory. Just discard it

Onel last question: how many quarts of trans fluid do I put in? The manual says 13 qt and that can't be right??? I'm thinking 4-5 qt.

I would have measured what I drained out. 13 qt. includes what is contained in the torque converter and it will not drain when removing the pan. 4 or 5 quarts will be a pretty good guess.

After installing the filter and replacing the pan fill the transmission until the fluid shows a little below the full line. Drive the car around the neighborhood until the tranny gets to operating temp. Now check again. Fluid expands when hot, so it will rise on the stick. Do not overfill.