How to correct a slipping transmission in a 2000 Ford Taurus?

Asked by Oct 30, 2013 at 12:57 AM about the 2000 Ford Taurus SES

Son changed transmission and fluid in my car, had to disconnect the battery to get the transmission to engage and now the transmission is slipping.  

Previously the transmission was working perfectly fine.

Does anyone know why this is happening and what the cure is?

What does he need to do?

How many miles on the trans. So he replaced the fluid and filter is all? Why? Did you have an issue before the change? Sometime people change the fluid thinking it will fix a shifting issue. Since it is slipping, I suspect it's rebuild time.

The car has less than 90,000 miles. There was a fluid leak and he was hoping that would stop it. He was hoping it was coming from there. There was nothing wrong before the fluid change, no slipping or noise, or anything. Could it be that the fluid level is not right yet?

I also experienced this issue with one of my previous vehicles, I had the fluids changed because it had never been done before and it shifted harshly. A mechanic friend of mine told me that I would have been better off not changing the fluid at all because the thick burnt fluid was what was holding the transmission together. You have 3 options 1) sell the Car while it still runs 2) rebuild the tranny 3) get $400 bucks from the dealer because you're able to drive it in but it won't pass 1st gear (which is what happened to me).

The car ran fine (transmission) before the fluid change. I understand what you are saying but the transmission had been serviced just over a year ago, so the fluid that he drained out was not all gross. It was pretty darn good looking fluid. This just makes no sense to me. the car had been regularly serviced until it was parked for 6 years. I had a shop do everything to it that sitting (stored) in the hot desert could have done to it and it was working just fine. He did the fluid change because there was a leak and he thought maybe it was coming from the pan seal. Now all these problems. If it worked fine after the shop changed everything out and put new fluid it in, why would changing the fluid again, so soon, be harmful?

Sometimes parts just wear out. But more important, what fluid did you son use? Did he use the correct Mercon V?