Can not pass SMOG on 2000 Ford Ranger

5

Asked by Nov 26, 2014 at 07:18 PM about the 2000 Ford Ranger XL Standard Cab SB

Since April 2014 I have tried to pass smog, have gone to 7 Auto repair shops- the Reff
in San Diego 3 times- 2 failed smogs, I paid for. I have replaced the plugs and wires
brakes, clutch, 02 sensors upstream and downstream, the downstream twice. Left my
Truck with Pep Boys 7 days and the Mossy Ford 2 days, they also told me they could
not help me, due to they could not figure out why I have no codes.Still no one can
figure out why I can not pass SMOG. (I have the 02 sensors and 02 sensor heater not
ready. (The OBD is not ready either). I had the smoke test done 2 weeks ago. Found
the a leak on a gasket on the Canister vent Solenoid. So I replaced the hole thing, next
I just got a Fuel Vapor Pressure Sensor to install next week, I also got new battery,
new gas cap oil change, Did I mention I have no codes pending or back codes. Any
one have any Ideas. My smog was due in June 2014. I am using middle grade gas and
have driven over 1,000 miles both highway and street,like all the shops told me to. Any
one have any IDEAS on what to due other then blow up my beautiful black truck?

I am not trying to sell you anything but find you a Greenfoot Global rep and buy you some Envirotabs they are very inexpensive and they will lower you emmissions considerably. Also they will improve your fuel economy I have used them in my company vehicles and they gave me great service

5,035

I don't see the EGR or catalytic converter mentioned. IIRC a poor functioning EGR valve will drive the NOX numbers to the moon. A malfunctioning or worn catalytic converter won't help your cause. Here's the California website that will locate Test and Repair stations in your area. http://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/station/stationlist.aspx

5

The catalytic convert is fine, It was checked i have been to 7 test and repair shops. Thank You But the shops are not helping. I do have a person at a shop that DMV recommended, he has been working with me since April this year. the EGR is good as well. Thank You for your answers. I have been working with the Bar.ca.gov I have been there 3 times. Mary

5

hmmmmmmm, I am going to look into this you mentioned. Not sure if we have them In San Diego. Thank You

5,035

Lastly, I've see this stuff advertised for years. Has good reviews and double money back. Good luck http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05063-Guaranteed-Emissions-Formula/dp/B000CIPUR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417050220&sr=8-1&keywords=CRC+Guaranteed+to+Pass%C2%AE+Emissions+Test+Formula%2C+12+oz.

5

I did look into this (Product) if you read the box it will not work on trucks and cars for the Evap and 02 sensors. You have to have a code, I do not. I have read the box. I have done my homework, It is all up to replacing parts. The Bar.ca.gov guy said It was a leak in the Evap I found the leak It is still not passing. Do you know on the Computer there is no answers for a 2000 for ranger with this problem, the dealership could not even figure it out. Wierd

5,035

I live in California, but never had problems with any car passing and my newest is a '94 (Knock on wood). I just always assumed that a Test and Repair station was to bring your vehicle in and they'd repair and tweak it so it would pass before it left their building. If a Test and Repair place doesn't do that, what good are they? They might as well be Test Only. With all the money you've sunk into repairs it's unfair that you can't get a waiver.

5

ytlas: Thank you, I did on my last appointment with the Reff threw the DMV ask for a waver so I could spend time trying to figure out what was wrong, But no. I was told by the DMV that I could get a ticket or even get towed to impound. Test only means with a CODE you can get a test to take it somewhere else to fix the problem. Test and repair you could test the CODE and fix it there. This has turned into a nightmare for me. I still doge COPS and do my drive time to see if a CODE will pop up. Do you know, to have Auto repair shop to Tweak a car to pass smog in California you can loose your licence to, and be shut down. I am not giving up. Next week is more parts to replace, I will keep in touch and let you know if I get this problem fixed. You can not fix a car or truck if you have NO codes to repair. Thanks

125

Try the Chevron station on LV / Mesa College Dr. Get my 01 Ranger smogged there and the guy seems knowledgeable.

5,035

I meant legally tweaked at a Test and Repair station. The last smog guy I went to was being investigated and now his shop is an extension of a mini mart. Good luck.

5

stevelvy: I know the one of the Repair people at that station, I will go talk with them. Thanks for the Info.

5

ytlas: I went on line to read about Smogs and there is no way you can force a code to come up, that means nothing to test. I can not tell you how many times I have had shops undo my battery that only set's everything to beginning then you have to drive and drive. But Thank you so much for the advice.