silicone used to seal the valve covers

Asked by Jul 12, 2012 at 08:10 AM about the 2000 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

My mechanic installed a rebuilt engine in my 2000 Mustang GT. When I took it out for a test drive, the engine locked up. The company that rebuilt and sold me the engine claims that my mechanic used too much silicone when replacing the valve covers. When I asked my mechanic for confirmation he said he did use plenty of silicone but not enough to block the filter for the oil pump as the owner of the shop that sold me the engine claims. My mechanic also says he ran the car for 20 mins in idle to test run it and had no problems. I want to file a case in small claim court against the engine rebuilder because I trust the mechanic more. The engine rebuilder has been lying to me from the start and didn't even deliver the engine that we agreed I would buy. The engine he delivered was a different engine and had more miles on it previously. Is there any way that I can get documented proof or statistics that prove that excess silicone found in the oil pump filter is not likely to cause engine failure in a 2000 Mustang Gt engine? Thank you so much! Kick Turbo!

If you can visually see the excess silicone in the oil pump filter than you do not have a case, because that means that the engine could have starved of oil in certain spots that caused the failure.