how do you seal a rear window in a mustang convertable? the seal is coming loose.

40

Asked by Aug 27, 2013 at 03:10 PM about the 2005 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

The outside seal on the rear window is coming loose, is there something we can purchase to fix it.

7,545

take it to an upholstery shop they may be able to reseal it for you, most body shops may be able to also, this keeps you from getting adhesive on that expensive top!

40

TY very much never thought of that..

40

How do we wash the top, is there a special way to do it?? Wax?? I'm scared I'm going to wreck it.

7,545

The vinyl top can be cleaned with vinyl top cleaner usually find at auto parts stores and a very soft brush if really dirty, never use a detergent it will stain the top!

7,395

3M makes a super weatherstrip adhesive. It comes in a red and white tube and should sell for around ten dollars at any autoparts store like advance auto, Autozone,Pepboys, etc. It's a black rubbery adhesive and a little bit goes a long way. Just smooth some on with your finger,(wear rubber gloves because it's hard to get off your fingers) let it start to setup for a couple minutes then stick your rubber piece back where it supposed to be. Don't put the top down for a couple days and you should be good to go. More than likely a shop would charge you a small fortune for that kind of repair and probably have you car for a few days. Fix it yourself and save some time and $$$. Good Luck, Kenny/MrBlueOval

20

Thank you...I am going to give it a try. The dealership had said that it was real expensive, but he did not say how much!!

I am going to try it hope it work

10

I've got a couple quotes from upsholstery shops and I've been told from range of $550-675 in cost for the labor and the rear glass with defrost. If your looking to replace the entire top and the glass rear window it would cost around $1700 parts and labor.

10

glue at Walmart called Goop RV sealant/adhesive

My 09 Mustang convertible is doing the same thing. I've tried silicone glue but it only lasted a week. Has any body had any luck repairing it by themselves? without taking to a repair shop?

Mine has done the same thing. I was told that the whole top needs to be replaced. They told me that it is heat sealed at the factory and there is no way to repair it.