Could it be my catalytic converter?

Asked by Jul 04, 2014 at 11:09 AM about the 2000 Hyundai Sonata GLS

When I accelerate the car seems reluctant, almost sluggish, and the gas pedal vibrates so much that my whole foot shakes. It also vibrates a little when I am decelerating. I can feel a little pulsating in the brake pedal. The steering wheel does not shakes though, so I was convinced that it was not anything to do with alignment or wheels. And I recently replaced the fuel filter but that did not help.

Other interesting facts... A. it does not do it so much when the car is cold, but really starts once I've been driving for about 15 mins. B. It is getting worse -- vibrating more and more often.

241,905

It could be, but why replace if you haven't done the proper testing and diagnosis? Have the car inspected by your local mechanic, they can test to see if it's fuel related, ignition or the cats are clogged. Any lights lit up on the dash?

65,695

Is your check engine light on?

65,695

Tom,we think alike : )

No check engine light. And my mech hooked up his little diagnostic thingy 3 different times (once right after the car was doing the vibrating) and got no results. The screen said "Pass".

65,695

Ok, the only thing that will make it shake like that,if it is not skipping,would be motor mounts,and harmonic balancer.

65,695

If it is skipping ,check plug,s and wire,s.

The plugs look normal, but I am going to change the them anyway because... well, because why not. However TST, if it was plugs or wires (or the ignition coil), wouldn't it skip all the time? Even when it's cold? I'm really asking.

65,695

Not really,they will fire on and off,win they are bad all so.

Ok, I will change the plugs and see if it improves. Thanks.