01 Tiburon Camshaft Sensor Failure Code

25

Asked by Sep 20, 2016 at 09:10 AM about the 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Base

While driving slowly the car suddenly runs ragged and won't accelerate past
45 mph. Got a failure light, checked with tool and was the camshaft sensor. Is
the timing off by a tooth, or is it a bad sensor? The car starts and runs, but
can hear banging noise in the engine and won't accelerate.

50

Yeah, your timing is definitely off by at least a tooth.

1,565

Have the timing chain tensioner checked-- the only way the chain could jump a tooth is if the tensioner failed. If so, then install a new tensioner, and reset the timing chain

Best Answer Mark helpful
25

If I'm not mistaken, this car has a belt instead of a chain. Is that correct? I plan to repair it and just wanted to be sure the symptoms it was showing were indeed the timing belt/chain/tensioner.

50

I don't know your exact car, but it's definitely timing.

1,565

Ooops yes, this car has a belt (in both models V6 and the 4 banger)and yes, the tensioner must be replaced when the belt is replaced or you will have that accursed flapping noise and you will potentially destroy the head/heads...

25

Never expected to find what I did on this repair! The AC belt had shredded and wrapped around the crank pulley and timing gear there! The timing belt tensioner was somewhat looser than it should have been and the timing was off by at least 2 or more teeth! Maybe the shredded AC belt facilitated this timing jump? I have it almost back together now and hoping nothing is bent internally.

1,565

Hate to suggest it bro… But I think you've bent some of the valves... be sure to run a compression check before you start the motor again.

25

Thanks for the advice and I'll do that. I hope it'll to be okay, but if it has fatal internal damage, I'll just scrap it.

25

OK, the timing belt is on and the car starts and runs fine. I DO however, hear a slight tapping noise. Would a compression test reveal which cylinder has an affected valve? I may just buy a used head and replace it instead of replacing valves?

1,565

Yes, a compression test will let you surmise which valves were damaged- keep in mind you could have piston damage too. If compression checks out drive it util the wheels fall off!

25

Compression is fine and car is running fine! Guess I was just lucky nothing was bent internally! Thanks for all advisers help!