2001 tiburon wheel swap

5

Asked by Jul 22, 2014 at 05:47 PM about the 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Base

I was thinking about ditching the 15's my Tiburon has for some 17's. My question is, do you have to reprogram anything so that the speedometer shows the correct speed. I know on the newer vehicles that you have to reprogram the bcm and what not since I do that all the time at the dealership I work for. Does anyone have an answer to this that can help me out? I've googled it but found nothing on the issue

2,885

If you get larger wheels, I would recommend getting lower profile tires to keep the outer diameter of the tire the same as the stock tires and prevent the speedo from reading wrong or having clearance issues. The stock tire size is 195/55R15, so if you got 17" wheels, I would recommend 205/40R17 tires

5

what about 18's i recently saw a couple of those. and theres no reprogramming needed. cause my co worker who works in parts believes you have to reprogram.

215

Go to www.tirerack.com and select your year of vehicle, then you can upsize the wheels to the 17" diameter - it will give you the appropriate size tire to maintain both the correct wheel diameter for body clearance as well as to maintain the speedometer without any modifications.

5

heres something i thought about. can i still lower the car if i wanted to when i swap my wheels and tires out? i had been thinking about that for a while and don't know if its absolutely possible

2,885

Yeah, you could still lower it after swapping out wheels as long as you get lower profile tires and keep the outer diameter of the tire the same. Tires that fit 18" rims are going to be more expensive and have a harsher ride due to the short, stiff sidewall compared to the tires for 17" wheels.You can probably find some lowering springs on ebay for cheap and borrow a spring compressor kit from Advance Auto to help with the removal of your old springs and installation of the new ones.