2002 hyundai Sonata Won't shift on its own.

Asked by May 22, 2016 at 12:15 PM about the 2002 Hyundai Sonata GLS

I replaced the spark plugs and wires
yesterday no more rough idle now, but
today it refuses to shift on it's own. I can
still shift with the sports shift function but it
just revs in first if I don't tell it to shift.
Please help.

95,035

That sounds like the TCM is in failure mode, a tranny shop will be able to plug in and can verify if for sure it is in failure, or if it is a gear selector switch or solenoid. HTH

Best Answer

That's useful, thank you. Would it throw a code that autozone could check or would i have to go to a transmission shop? Also is it drivable without further messing things up?

265

Not knowing the entire story here...and assuming that the car shifted normally before you replaced the plug wires...I would review every area of the engine bay that may have been effected by your plugs and plug wire replacement task. Was a connector removed from a sensor. Was any throttle/kick down linkage tampered with and or disconnected. Does the vehicle provide you with an engine/transmission code? And what if this new condition is totally unrelated to the tune-up...have you checked the quality and quantity of the transmission fluid These are my first stabs at this unusual circumstance.

95,035

Autozone's scanner might be able to check transmission codes, it just depends on the scanner. A tranny shop is your best bet, check around some offer free diagnosis.

Autozone's scanner cant check tranny codes and all the shops are closed on sunday :/ thank you for your help guys.

So easy fix, I reversed two plugs when I reconnected the tube for the air filter.. they are the same plug type.. again thank you guys.

If you're ever throwing code p1505 1507 and 0211 check your connections

95,035

OK I thought this was an ongoing problem and you had tried a tune up to fix it, my mistake for not reading the initial ouestion more carefully.

It's all good, I hope this thread helps someone with the same heartache I was experiencing.