is the 2001 Ford Taurus a front wheel or rear wheel drive?

Asked by May 26, 2017 at 07:42 PM about the 2001 Ford Taurus SE

I purchased this car at an auction only to find out the transmission needs replaced.  What relevant questions should I ask in search of this part.  I am finding places that just pull the transmissions out of used cars and places that actually rebuild them. I am a 60 y.o. disabled women that needs to get this right the first time, I cant afford to place a bad transmission into this car, please helppppppp.  Thank You

the taurus is a FWD. If you don't want to get taken, find a local transmission shop in your area, not a chain, and get a quote on a rebuild. That way your get a warranty, which you don't get on a used transmission. It could fail a day after install, and your out all that labor cost.

Check out these sites. Maybe they will be able to help you troubleshoot whats going wrong with your transmission.

If u go to Ford u will be quoted $2900. To rebuild at a local shop is $1800. I had a similar experience and because of finances I got a junyard unit put in for $1200, I had to find the transmission myself because they were hard to get in my area. It was $500 at a salvage yard but the garage charged me $700 plus $500 to install, thus the $1200

I have suggested in the past that people go to the website and find a certified mechanic for their problem. They tend to be honest because they want to retain their certicication

Taurus' have a weak torque converter design, and many times what appears to be a transmission problem is in fact the torque converter spline plate strips, which prevents it from turning the pump shaft (and thus unable to go into gear). Replacing the TC can still be a hassle though, as the engine/trans have to be dropped from under the car. Be sure to find a reliable mechanic (dariusk8 made a great suggestion above regarding AAA), and get a proper diagnose on whether it is the transmission or TC.

Run it threw another auction and get your money back. These sell for less than a thousand. If you paid more than that you over paid. The car will never be worth the cost to repair, It may end up being a very car though if repaired correctly, If you can sell it and grab another car it may be worth it too. Just be sure to research the net for known common issues with any car you like and figure out which is the best for you and the go locate one in good condition.

I am sorry...u must be crying now..... when u want to get a good used car....I will help u..... what part of the USA or elsewhere do u live? I have a company that sells perfectly good used cars at wholesale prices....bought 5 already.....all work great at low prices