Rear wheel drive or front wheel drive?

455

Asked by Dec 07, 2008 at 06:09 PM about the 1991 Ford Taurus SHO

I heard that the ford taurus SHO has a V8 but there is one thing that really puzzles me. is it a front wheel drive V8
or a rear wheel drive V8? Most ford taurus' are front wheel drive but what is the drivetrain of the SHO? Does the
1991 SHO come in Automatic Transmission? ( sorry bout all the questions )

sincerely
         Josh

55

The SHO never had a v8. Its just a poor designed v6. Very difficult to work on and in my opinion not reliable. As far as the 91 not quite sure but it would make sense to make an auto and standard.

455

Thank you for the info but what I really wanna know is if it is a front wheel drive or a rear wheel drive?

55

The Taurus did have a v8 in the SHO from 96-99, but from 89-95 it had the v6 and all taurus are front wheel drive, even the v8. these are the engine and trans specs for the SHO - 89-91 -3.0 v6 5speed - 92-95 - 3.0 v6 5speed or -3.2 v6 auto -96-99 -3.4 v8 auto hope this helps.

20

According to Edmunds.com and other sources, the SHO is a front wheel driven car. Although, you can probably tell if you look under the car. A rear wheel driven car usually has a rear differential.

455

Thanks so much for the info. so the 89-91 SHO only came in a 5speed and no automatic transmission could be an extra cost add-on that the owner could have?

55

it is possible to swap it im sure but not cost effective. manuals are quicker anyway.

65

It is definitely NOT a cost effective option! In fact, from ALL the stories I've heard from SHO owners of auto trannies, they've had to re-build them roughly every 80,000 kms, (50,000 miles). Plus, in my opinion, you'd do a great disservice to this model if it's not a stick-shift...it is meant to be driven, and driven hard, and YOU have to be in control of HOW hard! I have 4 of 'em...2 '89s, a '90, and a '93 and they're ALL stick. I'd stay as far away as possible from the auto tranny as Ford tried to quickly fill that void to have a wider customer potential when they re-designed the Taurus in '92. Also, the SHO died in '95 for me, as the 3rd gen came as auto only...it was the slowest SHO at about a second slower at the quarter mile (even with 2 more cylinders and 20 more hp), not to mention, i think it was the reason the SHO faded out and so it was canned! Ford fixed what wasn't broken, and they ended up breaking it. btw, THAT is a beauuutiful pic of a '91. Is it yours?

455

it is not mine because i am only 14 and I don't have that kind of money to buy an SHO but I would buy one if I had the money to do so. I actually found this pic on the internet and posted it so you guys know which taurus I am talking about but thanks for the compliment dude.

65

Kewl...well, u have a couple a yrs to save up 4 1, n they aren't that expensive...JUST MAKE SURE you have someone you kno n trust 2 check out the car 4 u b4 u buy...some of 'em r badly beat up, and because they no longer make 'em, and they were rare 2 start with, some parts r obsolete, so they will be expensive! n pickin' up that ur askin' 'bout auto trannies and you don't drive yet...c if u can learn to drive stick either by the time you get ur license or the car, that way u don't have to worry the auto/stick problem!

455

I already know how to drive stick....well I can operate from the passenger seat and I know when to shift up or down and start a stick transmission. even a car with the smallest engine and 5 speed stick can still go pretty fast in no time.

20

Haha i know its an old post..but you guys know nothing..ie trevor..96-98 v8 3.4 liter all auminum. Oh wait not reliable..haha thats funny they are more reliable then most every engine out there..3.0 v6 dohc ran like a v8 and could run over 150mph. No taurus has ever been rwd ever so there is no "most" fwd and the new one has an option for awd finding facts is easier looking on real websites and wiki.. stop asking amatures and morons questions that they know nothing about..if you ever had or want to put a v8 in a taurus and want to rwd it the car came with a proper trans tunnel. So do it, tim allen did..dont ever ask anyone about a SHO taurus cause they dont know crap..88-91 mtx 5 92-93 mtx option 94-99 atx mtx mtx- 5 5speed/atx auto..88-93 3.0 v6 93-95 3.2 v6 96-98 3.4l v8 atx my opinion 88-91 were the best years 3.0 was and still is a bad mutha..it could pull 100 in 10sec in 90 that was fast it could run high 14s and most say 140ish i topped 150 on 275 im mich

20

Lol aluminum* and never* i spell like a 2nd grader

65

Hello people of cargurus, I own this 1995 ford Taurus. This car is front wheel drive and has plenty off room for the family, my wife is and kids are on the way. I bought the car first before the family, I love this car and am planing on rebuilding ingines, for this types models.

I own a black 99 taurus sho v8 w 186, ooo miles...doesn't smoke a single puff..doesn't tick or knock... runs like a bat out of hell with a deep v8 growl that a v6 will never have... they sound like a hollow baffle exaust when your stomp on " em. A V8s a V8 !

If anyone locates a running V8 SHO, know that there was a serious problem on the 3.4L Yamaha of the cam sprockets slipping off the splines and grenading the engine. Any survivors should have the cams welded.

I know this post is really old though here is my thought and problem.. got a 1993 Ford Taurus GL 3.8L V6 the engine has a limited life left given the mechanic let me know it's a ticking time bomb it has a quiet knock to it and mechanic told me it could last week's or years that it's really unknown how long it will take till it blow's up completely I have thought about doing a engine swap taking out the tired old 3.8L V6 that stalls at red lights and stop signs and dropping a crate Ford 302 small block engine in the car instead of buying a rebuilt 3.8L V6.. Reason being the original engine and car only has 87 miles on it since it was a one owner car who a great aunt owned and have had the car since she gave it to me before passing away