Vibration at idle

5

Asked by Jul 12, 2009 at 01:56 PM about the 2002 Honda Accord LX

My 2002 Accord 2.3 VTEC A/T has an unpleasant vibration at idle with the car in gear and my foot on the brake. The vibration comes right through the steering wheel and is worse when the a/c compressor cycles on. Also, turning on the lights and putting a load on the alt makes the vibration worse. I have replaced the lower front motor mount directly behind the radiator. If I gently rest my foot on the gas pedal and raise the RPM's to just under 1000 things smooth out. My idle seems to hover around 750 rpm. What is the correct idle speed and can it be adjusted? Any other ideas as to how to eliminate this vibration?

65

it could be a worn out motor mount.

70

I have the same problem, please help

1,275

When was the last time you did a tune up? Sounds like you may have a misfire. You can spray the spark plug wires with water and observe them. You may see sparks jumping from the wire to any ground. I would start there. It could also be an injector but i havent seen too many go bad on hondas.

70

I have replaced the timing belt, plugs, motor mounts, but not the wires

1,275

check the wires. Im not sure whether it has a distributor cap and rotor or coil pack. if its cap and rotor replace them too. If its coil pack pull the wires off and check for corrosion. If there is corrosion build up on the terminals replace as well. Good luck

10

If your car has new motor mounts and idles smooth without a/c you do not need a tuneup . It has to do with the load of the a/c on a weak 4 cylinder engine . Sould have had a v6.

30

I have the same problem with a 2009 Accord with 32000 miles. It rode smooth for the first 3 or 4 months then the vibration started. So it is not the weak 4 cylinder engine. Dealership cannot figure it out. Honda America has definitely heard of the problem but until enough people complain they will not put out a bulletin. So I'll be complaining.

30

It is that top engine mount close to the power steering fluid bottle.

40

2002 accord i4 same issue - just spent $300 on a tuneup that did smooth out the Park Idle, but idle in Drive with foot on brake - car still shakes. Mounts are just fine. Distributor cap & rotor replaced & injectors / throttle body all cleaned thoroughly. Open to suggestions....

10

Not sure about the 2002, but the 2003-2007 4- cylinder Accords have this problem. Some service writers at Honda know about it and others don't. These cars have vacuum-operated motor- mounts that are supposed to harden or soften based on ECM input. They made a kit to fix it which included motor- mount upgrades, dampers for the radiator mounts and something about the front bumper mount. I was going to do this, but after a lot of Internet searching, I found few people who ended up with a completely good result so I decided to live with it. The idle is set by the ECM and can't be adjusted. It's a design flaw that causes this issue. You'd think they could have solved it over the 5 years that model was built. One mechanic told me that Honda OEM mounts will mitigate it somewhat, compared with aftermarkets.

10

I have a 2014 Accord with 28K on it that has the same problem. Mine shakes intermittently when stopped in drive with the AC on. I took it to the local Honda dealer and they said it was normal..I've owned four Hondas previously and have never had this problem. I am going to take it to an AC shop to see if they can figure it out. Will keep posted

10

My 2005 Honda Accord shakes when I turn on the A/C on and I come to a stop but feels normal when I drive . I have replaced eng mounts all and the throttle body but don't knw what else i can do,please help

10

I read a lot of article about the problems: I fixed my 2005 Accord 2.4 EX with 145K miles, by replace the spark plugs and clean the TBS body. First I diagnose the problems: My car only VIBRATED at idle IN D drive, if in P or N is fine. Car dive over 70mph is fine so that will not be the Engine Mount of other Mount wore out (if the Mount is bad the car will shaking over 65 mph). I though may the power steering pump or the belt miss align and it is not when it at higher RPM. ONLY thing is the RPM at 800-900 then will not Vibrate. SO GET A GOOD TUNE UP and MUST reset the TBS (by doing that is turn the key on for few seconds then START the car RUN @3000 RPM until the cooling FAN on or Drive the car at 65 MPH (not faster or slower) for few miles THEN ALL DONE. I posted this because I had been mislead or ripped off in the past.