03 honda element p02646

Asked by Mar 30, 2016 at 12:22 PM about the 2003 Honda Element EX AWD

Ok so my wife and i have had this car for a while now.
A few years back my wife ran it low on oil... it would throw
the p2646 code... changed the oil.... cleaned both screens
cleared the code and all was well for about 6 months....
Changed oil every 3k like clockwork...
Then it did it again...
Cleaned screens changed oil (at 1500 twice) and this time
it worked for about 15minutes then started acting up
again....
So i replaced the oil pressure sensor.... problem solved for
close to another 6 months...
Then it happend again....
This time i changed the spool valve assembly in its
entirity...
Worked for a few months then happend again....
Changed spool valve assembly again cleaned both screens
and nothing...
So changed the oil control solenoid.....
Nothing ... found out for a little while it would only do it
when warm....
But if i shut the car off and start it back up it wouldnt do it
the whole way to work....
Now it does it all the time no matter what...
Im at a loss and am not sure what else to do....
I need to get it operable again so i can sell it with a minimal
ammount of money due to purchasing anothet car for my
wife to drive... am kinda broke now....

105,495

It is possible that the engine suffered damage when it was that low, ans as time wore on the engine wore out a lot sooner than it normally would have, get a manual pressure gauge and see what the actual pressures are both cold and hot. Did you notice any metallic particles in the oil when you drained it from the pan and the filter?

Didnt see anything metalic in the oil or filter.... Where would inhook upna oil presure guage? Is there a way to test the voltage at the ops?

105,495

Unscrew the oil pressure sender, out in a tee fitting and attach the hose or the gauge depending on if you want it meter inside or not. The parts store will have everything you need. A scan tool hooked up to the OBD2 port can tell you voltage at the battery, sensor voltage, etc.

Ok so i was tinkering with the "E" this weekend and found that the oil pressure switch on the spool valve where the wires plug in was filling up with oil..... Prety sure that is not suposed to do that.... So i ran an ohm test on the plug portion and got some serrious fluctuating readings... from .5 - 22.7 range.... would stay at either spot..... I read somewhere that if there is a number when doing this that the switch is bad... So i pulled the old one out of the old spool valve and it wasnt giving a reading.... put it back in and still the same.... This thing is killing me..... I need to get it right so i can sell it and finnish yhe payment for finalizing the adoption on my little girl..... Still throwing the p02464 or whatever that code is..... Im at a loss and running out of options..... I still have yet to get a oil pressure test set up.... been way to broke to spend any money....

105,495

If you are getting oil in there just replace the sender, then try it. I know about about adoption fees and the stuff you have to go through to even get approved to adopt even if it is family. Hope everything goes through properly.

Thanks tennisshoes Yeah its been a wild ride this far lol Yeah im gunna have to order one

Ok so here we are again.... still havent fixed the problem... i have replaced the ops as i said i would and it still did it.... Seeing as it has almost 217k on the clock i was told the my timing chain might be streached... so i replaced it and the tensioner... pulled the oil pan while i was in there and cleaned everything put it back together and reset the valve lash... took her for a drive and still doin it... Checked the code and now im getting a p2647.... And its commin on right as it starts up.... So i read somewhere that that is possiably leading to a bad ground somewhere so i added a ground wire... a heqvy duty one... took her for a drive and she did great no issue but my iac is acting up while in nuteral.... Cleaned the iac.... couldnt get it off the throttle body itself so cleaned it as best as i could... and put it back together and now its throwing the p2647 again!!!!! This thing is killin me!!!! I am at a loss... gunna need to check my oil pressure but not sure what it should be and realy how to.... So problem not solved....

105,495

This might help. got to: http://www.helpforcars.net/obd_codes/p2647_honda.html