Air conditioning system

Asked by Nov 08, 2016 at 12:42 PM about the 2001 Dodge Neon 4 dr Highline SE

I recently pulled my ac fan motor for replacement,
and reached up in the hole to check for debris. I
pulled out a little bit more than a softball sized
about of fiberglass insulation. Why is the here? And
if it's not supposed to be there how do i make sure
my entire ac system is free of it?

109,845

What color was the material? If it was pink then it was not from your vehicle, most likely a rodent brought it in from someplace else and packed it in your fresh air intake for the heater/A/C system. The only way to get it all out would be to disassemble the entire heater box and remove it manually.

32,645

Did a critter get up in there? They will build nests in AC/heat ducts or anywhere they can get into out of whatever material is available, and they seem to love insulation. The heater box, AC/heat plenums and ducts are all plastic, there is no loose insulation in there. Most fibrous materials, like carpeting, insulation, or sound deadeners are along the firewall or floor, including behind the dash. I suppose there may be a remote chance fibrous material was pulled in from the recirc vent into the blower motor fan. You should also check what shape your cabin filter (if your model has one) is in.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Tennisshoes, the material was grey white, like some blow in insulation I've seen in attics. KenF, i think it is likely it's from an animal. On closer inspection there are some little feathers mixed in along with a few bugs and leaf pieces. I was hoping i wouldn't have to take it apart but it has to be cleaned. Thanks all!

109,845

Do you have access to a high capacity air compressor or a leaf blower, you can try back blowing through the heater ducts and through where the blower goes if you can get it in there.

I have a shop vac that can blow air. Its rated 100CFM. 6 Peak HP. I don't know if it will be enough to get anything out. I could blow through the heart ducts and vacuum at the fan motor, a the new one hasn't arrived yet.

96,245

I would try vacuuming the debris out first. Blowing it could send that junk to places you can't get to.

That sounds like a good plan full_of_regrets. I have a smaller diameter hose that i can attach to the bigger shop vac hose. Hopefully it will be small enough to maneuver in the ducts.