Rear end sagging.

Asked by Apr 05, 2010 at 11:36 AM about the 2001 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD

Rear end began sagging yesterday. Compressor comes on but doesn't seem to shut off. Anything suggestions is appreciated

3,745

Maybe one of the airbags has a leak. I'd get underneath when the compressor is on and look and listen for any sign of a leak in the airbags. If they're not leaking, one of the air hoses could be leaking or disconnected. Duct tape will make a good temporary fix until you can replace whatever is leaking if that is the cause of the problem.

I believe I found the problem. Right after the compressor there is a coupler that had broken which the air was leaking out and never going to the back end. I ordered one from Ford and will replace it on Thursday. I'll let you know if this corrects the problem. I believe it will. Thanks for the reply back. Kenny

150

Hi. I had a 2002 Expedition that was sagging really bad in the back. I thought it was the compressor but I then learned that there were cracks all though the air lines and the air bags too. I was looking at almost $1500 or more in repair. I found Strutmasters.com and bought a non air conversion and saved me time and money. The kit fixed my Expedition and the ride is great.

100

It seams like these Expeditions have so many air problems. Its crazy! I put a non air conversion kit on mine and I love it. My wife loved it because she found Strutmasters.com on the web and saved us money!

holes in vac lines,they are rubber hoses that dry rot and crack.

70

Check the rear air fill on drivers side about half way between doors under and close to frame or height sensor in the rear will pop off the little nub that it attaches to, just pop it back on. My best guess is the rear air fill valve about 65.00 I spent 3200.oo before I figured that out. DUH

10

i have a 99 and i hVE ALREADY GONE THROUGH 2 REARS IN A YEAR HAD ANY ONE HAD THIS ISSUSE

when vehicles that have the air suspension on them,their is a on-off switch in cars is in trunk suv,s open rear hatch is on eather side of quorter panel.if vehicle is going to be jacked up front or rear or put up on a lift,make sure the switch is turned OFF befor lifting,if not turned off when lifted the air pump will start pumping busting the air ride system.ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE SWITCH IS TURNED OFF BEFOR LIFTING.on the newer vehicles their are 2 switches,1 for the fuel shut off one for the air ride system,if not sure which is whitch,turn both off,when work is completed and back on the ground dont forget to turn back on.

25

Check the rear airsprings for leaks check also all lines and hoses for leaks. The rear end is sagging because the airsprings are not filled with air due to leaks and that is why the compressor doesn't stop pumping air. If ever the airsprings need to be replaced I suggest you get firestone brand. It will last at least ten years while replacement brands will only last a year or two. Thanks hope it helps

Motorcraft brand is also good!

70

Question, I have a 2007 Ford Expedition limited El. Got new tires installed two weeks ago an now my rear air suspension has dropped. I reset an it came up an went back down an won't come back up.....

10

I have just the rear driver side bag not lifting, only found one small leak. I have ordered complete air line assembly. How hard is this to change? Could it be something else keeping the one corner from lifting?