new 2015 CRV won't start?

50

Asked by May 28, 2015 at 07:20 PM about the 2015 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD

Just bought a new 2015 CRV. Picked it up Tuesday night & wouldn't start Wednesday. It
was towed to the shop & they think it's just the battery.  I was able to program the radio,
phone book, seat, all that digital stuff and the lights on the dash lit up, it made noise but
just wouldn't turn over. Battery really? Is that possible?

76,515

Could be,but the good thing is it,s under waranty,

28,775

Sounds suspicious to me. As popular as the CRV is, I'm thinking that the ones actually made/assembled in Japan probably stay there. I will never buy a Japanese car that isn't assembled there. Your CRV was likely to have been assembled at their plant in Ohio (that thought scares me). A failed battery on a brand new vehicle? Seems unlikely to me. Sounds like BS to me....I'd be inclined to get ANOTHER CRV from this Dealer (don't let them give you the same one back) or just back out the deal entirely and get a Toyota RAV-4.

28,775

Hey Cathy! What was the outcome of this situation? Don't leave us hangin'!

50

They tried to tell us it was a fluke & may or may not happen again. We held our ground and got a different one. Thanks for your input!

60

you have to be careful where you parked your car and where you put the remote key. When they are close together, the signal drained the battery down overnight. Try to put your car far away from your key so they won't exchange signal overnight.

100

My son sent this site to me. I have the 2015 CR-V EX and have many issues with it, to the point I wrote to the VP Corporate Honda & GM. Today's issue. I left a lunch meeting and my 7 month old car would not start. AAA said it was the battery. Either they installed an "older" battery at the time of purchase, or else there is a parasitic drain on the battery from somewhere within the car. There is a litany of issues with this car, and most cannot be "fixed", as they are inherent within the manufacturing. Give me the older model Honda that was quality, and had stringent oversight on the assembly line.

210

any body knows why my 2013 honda crv its giving me problems. since the first day I had own this car has giving me issues, during the morning and cold weather days don,t starts. second year few more times did the same thing. this winter again has the same issues one again more than 13 times and last night did it again, so Im sick and tire about this, any body knows what I can do?

70

We bought a new Honda from the Honda Ocala, Fl dealer. We have had the problem of the car not starting TWICE. A gentleman who was sent from Honda USA to start it tried to sell us a new battery. I refused and the car suddenly started. Took it to a mechanic and said the battery was excellent. I am beginning to think this is a manufacturing defect that Honda does not want to address.

130

My 10 months Honda CRV 2016 also got the same starting problem, sometimes it does not start. I also think same that's a manufacturing defect because I am pretty sure my battery is just fine.

55

Mehmet - Have the replaced anything for you? I have a 4 month old 2016 CRV and they've replaced the starter twice now ... I'm picking it up tomorrow with the third starter in it. I'm in agreement that it's a manufacturing defect. I spoke with Honda Canada and they were useless ... said not to worry they'd repair it every time since it was under warranty.

100

My 2015 Honda CRV will not start. Drove it 5 minutes before no previous problem now just clicking with dash lights coming on intermediately. Thought maybe key fob battery changed it out not the problem. Call the Honda help just got someone reading a owners manual - no help! Looks like its a trade in!

100

Had a similar problem with my wifes 1 year old 2015 CRV. would not start twice when she had been in the car wash. 2 nd time dealership replaced battery even though the time before it tested good. Last time she was in the car wash the door locks would not open?

50

No answer , neither do dealers have a answer . Problem for me is in talking with the dealer in WI Milw , they never heard of it , 2 times for me . Dead nothing . Jump it and off we go . Starts every time until the next time . Appt tomorrow with the largest Honda dealer ever .

10

Peterr49 . The last two times I have had my 2016 CR-V at the car wash, when I went to leave it would not start. Have not had any issues other than this. My son just drove to denver and back, stopping several times to get gas on this trip and no issues whatsoever

140

My 2015 CRV died on me on June 24 on a trip out of town. Lights worked,horn worked but engine would not turn over. Heard clicking sound of old relay type noise. Could not jump it. Attached a charger for a few minutes and it started. This morning July 28,2017 it happened again in garage at home. Exact same issue. Battery voltage showed about 12.5 volts using a multimeter. Engine will not turn over. I attached a battery charger for about 15 minutes and it started up again. Turned it off and restarted with no problem. Rechecked the voltage with the car running and it showed 14 volts. This absolutely destroys my confidence in driving this CRV and having read the problems others are having I may get rid of it too. This is just not acceptable. Buyer beware.

70

I have a 2015 that just turned 40k miles and I'm having the same problems, exactly. Honda needs to fix this!!!

140

My dealer fixed the problem by replacing the battery and the sticking relay for no charge. So far so good. He said he has fixed a few of the same problems already on his own. I am lucky to have a great guy who sold me the car and takes care of any problems I run into. Of course I plan to do business with a guy like that.

20

My wife's 2015 CRV is doing the same thing as a few above. It is now at the Honda dealer in York PA for the 2nd time. "We found nothing wrong" the first time. Like the above, I am losing confidence in taking the vehicle anywhere, let alone having her commute to work only to be stranded in a parking garage. Guess I better look to trade in for the Rogue or Mazda if it happens again.

130

My 2013 CRV is doing the same thing. I was told it was the A.C. relay. Replaced it and the same night it wouldn't start. Going to try the ignition relay next. Battery, starter, and alternator are all fine. So frustrating that Honda hasn't admitted this is an issue and suggested a fix.

30

I have a 2014 CRV and I am on battery #4. Today I drove to work an back. Went inside my house to change clothes came back out 30 minutes later and the battery is dead. This battery was replaced in May. And my car was just in for routine maintenance 2 days ago. I've heard "bad cell", "Louisiana weather", "you don't drive enough". I asked about parasitic drain and the service guy smiled and said that's not happening. Calls to Honda America were totally a waste of time. Thus car has now stranded me more than any car I've ever owned. This is my 5th and last Honda. I'll be trading it. Honda you have a problem.

60

I have had this happen to me twice now on my 2015 Honda CRV-EX. The first time I had this happen roadside assistance was able to charge my battery and the car worked again. The car was only a month old at the time with less than 30 miles. The second time it happened charging it did not work. My battery showed 12.2 volts, all of the lights would turn on in my car, the Bluetooth worked, radio etc. It would click as though the car were going to turn on, but it wouldn't start the engine. I had to have my car towed to a mechanic. After having full diagnostics completed on my vehicle they found that the cause of the issue was the aftermarket alarm system that the dealership had put on my car. Even though I did not purchase their alarm system the wiring was triggering my car not to start. The wires when slightly moved disarm the vehicle. I now have to pay several hundreds of dollars to have the wiring removed to prevent this from happening in the future leaving me stranded in parking lots. Thank goodness for my mechanic who was able to figure out the problem. Shame on Honda and their dealerships for allowing faulty systems to be installed on their vehicles.

30

To my surprise there are many people that are dealing with similar issues with their Honda CRV. I have a 2015 Honda CRV and my car will not start. I've had the battery checked and it is not the battery. Honda says they cannot help me because I am out of warranty. What rip off, I am very upset!

130

I changed the A.C. relay & ignition relays and I haven't had it stall since. They're a lot cheaper than batteries, so try those first. Hope this helps!

30

wow, can't believe this is as prevalent a problem as this ... ours is a 2016 CRV Touring. It has left my wife stranded 3 times now and had to be jumped off, Honda replaced the battery last week, wouldn't start yesterday! Our interior lights wouldn't work until jumped, but the battery was good, now it wants to act normal when trying to find the problem ... oh course!

I've had this problem with my 2015 CRV twice this week. It's at the Honda service shop now. The battery check was good. They say they need to re- create it to do anything about it. I don't want to take it back until they figure out what the problem is because I don't want to get stranded again.

50

Honda put a new battery in my 2015 Honda CRV-EX 2 months after I bought the car. They never even told me they did it and I hadn’t had a problem. Now my car is 2 years older, still no problems, and yesterday they told me my battery is no good and I need to buy a new one. They showed me a print out of my battery test, which they have never shown before. They made me purchase one, even though it’s only 2 years old, I had no problems and they said it’ not under warranty anymore. I plan on returning it tomorrow and purchasing one from Costco for $30 less and the same 3 year warranty and not attached to Honda. This is my 3rd CRV. They are built cheaper at every model change. Next time it’s going to be a Suburu Forrester! I’ve had Honda’s since 1990! Very disheartening.

I have the same problem to. 0miles and car is not even delivered. Still in dealership. The put all the extras like hook, aeropack and illuminationpack. After that to wash and wax both. Car wont start. Mechanics has work 2days to get the car fixed. Delivery day was today but dealership called yesterday that car is "crap" not with word wont start. Little scared to buy this crapy honda crv. We'll see when i get the shitty car.

20

We were eventually pushed into buying a new battery, even though ours was only 2 years old, but it tested differently each time, so maybe that was the issue. "fingers crossed" we have had no issues since, but we do lug around a portable car charger in the back. It works the same as an umbrella...as long as you have one, it wont rain.

30

Just as a follow up, my 2014 CRV-EX 30K miles stranded me one more time, 3 days after it was totally serviced with a new battery (#5). I was told again that “I don’t drive enough”, “bad cells, bad luck with batteries”and that “everything checks out perfectly and is shutting down correctly”. This from the service manager. BS, BS and BS. If i don’t drive enough then their product clearly doesn’t nmeet the needs and driving habits of their primary demographic. The dealer’s GM and Honda could not have cared less. Needless to say, after being stranded again, I promptly said good bye to them, to Honda and to my sweet little CRV.

30

I took my Honda crv 22014 back to dealer 30 days after buying it from Music City Honda in Nashville. They did a system update however the problem still persist. I drive the car, then stop at a store, car wash, or run in my house to get something quickly. When I return to the car, it won't start. It makes no noise at all when I turn the key. Strangely, I found that if I keep trying, it eventually starts right up on the second, third, or fourth try. Drives fine afterwards until it randomly dies again anywhere from one day to 2 weeks later. I hate this car, but I am stuck due to the amount I still owe on it. Russian Roulette every time I get ready to crank my car!!!! Honda has a lot of explaining to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

10

OK SO I HAVE A 2015 CRV AND I WAS ON A ROADTRIP, COMING BACK HOME, MADE A STOP FOR GAS AND THEN TO REST, WAS ABLE TO GET HOME. WAS ABOUT TO RUN AN ERRAND CRV WONT START.. CLICLKING NOISE, MONDAY THEY TOWED IT , JUMPSTART , OPEN WITH THE REMOTE , TURN ON WIT THE KEYLESS, AND THEN THEY CALL ME FROM THE DEALERSHIP. VEHICLE WONT OPEN, THOSE ARENT THE KEYS, THEY SEND THE PORTER FOR THE OTHER SET, VEHICLE WONT OPEN.. HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS?

50

My 2015 Honda CRV started experiencing problems last week and I needed to change the battery. When turning the ignition key, the dashboard would flash repeatedly and make several clicking sounds. I had to hold the ignition key longer than usual (eg: 3-5 seconds) but was eventually able to start my car. This would occur every day for the entire week. What's odd is all the electronics were still working. I could turn on my headlights, radio, and windows with the exception of the window facing the driver's side. Since the car was still under warranty, I took it to a Honda dealer. At first, they weren't able to reproduce the problem. Later in the afternoon, however, they were able to reproduce the problem and provided me a result from a battery test showing the cranking power was below 40% and the battery should be swapped out. Anyway, after replacing the battery my car is starting fine again.

60

Had the same problem this week, my car didn't start. I had to use booster pack trough the week even if i drove 200 miles. I went to the honda shop this morning after several analysis they conclude that a cell of my batterie was dead. They change it and everything is fine so far.

30

Happened twice to my daughter's car. Once she was at campus (different city) and last night. Both times jumped and it starts. Next day, I drove to AutoZone and they tested the battery. Starts and stops fine. Picture attached. AutoZone says both the Battery and the Alternater are fine. And the following day (which is today), I came back from AutoZone parked last night, and it doesn't start again. I made a video as well. Posting somewhere and then I'll drop the link here. Car still dead. Cannot start. and I'll be adding more info. I agree with a lot of people here in this forum that this Honda CRV is crap. DO NOT BUY. It sucks!

30

Hi, See the video I uploaded where it doesn't start. https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcvws.icloud-content.com%2FB%2FARdHdTn4X2JpK7aeu-ZAcP5ESLvlAcwfXdqfY6E-8KarXD0bepKRvG1D%2F%24%7Bf%7D%3Fo%3DAjWB6Nt69al7jEg60QhtFY6snqVCNO2DjCWm1JwYLGAh%26v%3D1%26x%3D3%26a%3DBco_cEJ3kgUHA0rFQAEA_wHIAP9CLo_v%26e%3D1516992555%26k%3D%24%7Buk%7D%26fl%3D%26r%3DB4CA6331-A927-4461-8430-16617D1CB029-1%26ckc%3Dcom.apple.largeattachment%26ckz%3DC6AEE88F-F290-451D-9156-63F8986BB3EF%26p%3D42%26s%3DqhVha0xl_cOz6-IQZpjxlI0MUnE&uk=CJLO_PcOL-QYC9w9ochzqw&f=IMG_5665.MOV&sz=33663126

My 2015 cry and 2012 Honda glossing motorcycle both do the same thing, anytime of year

30

Hi everyone. I own a 2015 cry 2015 and have had same no start issue. I have also had my clock.reset itself to December 31 2012. See pic. I think the no start issue is related to auto headlights. I used my auto feature consistently uuntil October when I had another no start. I turned off auto headlights and started manually turning lights off and on. Three days ago I turned auto feature back on and yesterday car would not start. Can other owners tell me that they use auto feature? I have to wonder if there is ssomething still drawing on battery. Thoughts on this theory?

10

My wife had a 2012 CRV that started with same problem. Battery and alternater were both good, but I noticed the battery was just to low to start the car each time at 10 or 11 volts. And each time the car was sitting (in the warm garage) for over 30 hours after 5 or 6 days of highway driving. Finally while at the dealership for this issue, I found a service buliten online. the internal onboard computer was allowing the battery to drain to low when the car was off. Honda reprogramed the computer, that didn't solve the problem so I traded it in for the 2015 thinking this would solve my problems. Not so. My 2015 now with 43k miles has had the same issue oct 30, dec.21 and jan 1. so long HONDA. I ALWAYS THOUGHT OF YOU AS RELIABLE. No longer.

10

My mother in law just had the same issue with the 2016 version today and the car wouldn’t start. There seemed to be power but wouldn’t turnover. I started reading this forum and I see many of you are on the same boat. I decided to just let the battery totally drain where it wouldn’t even respond to the remote. Once totally drained, I jumped the car and it finally started up. It worked this time so I would recommend everyone to try this before they replace a bunch of things on the car. Hope this helps.

20

I was having trouble with my 2014 CRV not starting about once per week, checked battery that was OK checked alternator was OK. I replaced The Ignition Relay never had the problem again.

30

Today my battery died while my 4 way flashers were on while I was changing a flat..40 minutes people, 40 .minutes.

20

I have had the same thing happy to my 2015 Honda CRV twice this past week and twice prior to this. My mechanic said it is due to the alarm the dealership installed on the vehicle. The alarm was never activated since I didn’t purchase that feature, but left on the vehicle when I purchased it. When I open the hood of my car and shake the battery...magically my car will turn on. It doesn’t require me to charge the battery. I have an appointment to have the wiring removed on the 17th. I will keep you posted if it successfully resolves the issue.

10

2015 CRV Touring edition here. The first time the battery died was a few months after I bought it and right after I got done washing it at home. Weird, but I thought it was a fluke and bought a new battery. A couple months later, it died again and then a third time. I have noticed that the battery dies if I don't start it at least once a day. (I can't leave it sit all weekend without starting it). I started wondering what could be causing the constant drain so started looking around. I started with the radio because it always has power. I manually went into the settings and turned the Bluetooth off. (Figuring if the Bluetooth drains my phone battery faster while on, maybe it does the same thing to my car?) I don't think it was the only thing causing a small drain but it seems to have lessened the problem. I haven't turned the BT back on in a couple months and the battery hasn't died yet either. There have been a couple of cold mornings where it seemed weaker and struggled to start which makes me think there is something else also causing a drain somewhere. This was my first and probably last Honda though.

We have a 2015 Honda CRV that has stopped working twice. Each time the dealer has come up with a flimsy reason for why the car did not start. I hope Honda is recording that multiple people are having problems that they are handling these in a very unsuccessful way-- time to start caring about one's reputation Honda! We are never buying a honda again.

I have a 2015 CRV with intermittent starting problems as well. Twice this weekend, once after only sitting for a few hours. Honda told me I can bring it into the dealership to have the battery tested but if it isn't the battery I have to pay those diagnostic charges. Otherwise they will diagnosis the issue further and if they find something wrong (which from many things I've read are highly unlikely since it is intermittent) I won't have to pay those diagnosis fees, but if they don't I'm responsible for those as well. Yep, I was a HUGE Honda fan and felt very proud and comfortable buying my CRV as a single person household to have a reliable vehicle. I'm beyond disappointed in the quality of the car and definitely that Honda has to know they have a problem and are not willing to step up to the plate to help their customers out. This is likely my last Honda as well. Makes me super sad. :-(

10

I own a 2015 CRV with 36,000 which I purchased new. I have dead battery issues. When I push the button to start it the lights all flicker and it doesn't start. I have had this happen approximately 8 times. Once it happened in my driveway after the car sat overnight. All of the other times it happened after I had been driving the car, stopped for a few minutes, and then it wouldn't start. 3 of these times it occurred after I had been driving at least a half hour. It happened 3 times when I stopped to get gas. It has been to the dealer where I purchased it and each time I've been told that they did a draw test and recharged the battery but couldn't find anything wrong.

10

Sounds like a bad a battery. Get battery checked.

30

CAH1899,I have the same problem starting ,Honda says nothing wrong.I have to start somewhere to eliminate issue.Can you you tell me if the relay you are talking about is the solenoid on the starter or is there a relay somewhere else in the system? Thanks

10

Had the car towed to the dealer after it wouldn't start yet again! They were finally able to get a bad battery code when they diagnosed it. Replaced the battery and haven't had another issue yet.

My 2014 CRV Wouldn't start this morning. Tried couples of time, same thing. First time happened. I purchased it new, now 45k miles, base model with AWD (no fancy options). Outside temp was 32deg. It had sit in the garage for about 4 days. Only cranking. Headlights can be turned on and didn't show low battery power. Read this forum, seems nothing standing out. So, after about 30 min from the last try, I decided to turn the key to START and hold it for a looooong time! I normally wouldn't do it because it's not good ( no use for any issues). But this time, it worked. I guess I could hold the key for 10 or more sec (not sure, but felt a long time). It started just cranking, then there was a kind of different sound coming out slowly from weak to louder, until engine suddenly started. Then, Kept engine running for about 20 min. No problem to start it again several time. Will check battery later. Hope this helps to someone.

Bought my 2015 Honda CRV a year ago. It began having intermittent starting issues 9 months after I bought it. I could start it, cut it off to run in store, come back and out and wouldn't start. However, if we jump it, it always starts. Had battery and alternator tested and they both were good. Replaced starter and it was good for 2 weeks. Now we are back at square one. Same issues. It now has 48k miles and I am not looking to a take it to Honda dealership and pay overpriced labor for them to tell me it is the battery. Sad to be such a nice car. Honda has definitely disappointed! Obviously the 2013-2015 Accords and Crosstours have similar problems because Honda has put out a Technical Service Bulletin (TSM) 16-002 that describes my exact issues although mine is a CRV. I called the Honda dealership and spoke with Service who adamantly told me it was the battery and that TSM didn't apply to my car. I completely understand that, but obviously Honda has issues. Not a fan of this keyless start! Guess we will try replacing the relays next as someone mentioned earlier.

30

Assuming the normal causes have been ruled out, the Honda CR-V intermittent starting issue has two possible causes dependent upon the conditions. If it cranks but does not start checkout the main-relay drivers side under dash; if it does not crank check out the starter relay on the fuse panel. Typically the main-relay has a circuit board that suffers from cracked solder joints on the board, while the starter relay is actually undersized for the application and eventually the contacts become intermittent under load.

20

With most recent keyed Honda CRVs (including our 2009), when the ignition fails to sense the key FOB properly, it makes the same sound as if the battery was dead. The same exact sound. Yes, I can go on and on about how stupid that decision was, as making a different sound would resolve so many situations, or at least un-confuse them. The FOB sensor is an "anti-theft" protocol, but what a pain in the butt when it doesn't work properly! Don't get me started on how ridiculous the cost of replacing a key FOB! When our key FOB breaks (and they all break), we buy an empty Honda-styled key FOB on Amazon with a blank key, then transfer the electronics to the new FOB and have the key cut at Honda for about $25 (that sure beats having Honda replace the entire FOB for a measly $400!). But I digress. Our 2009 CRB also has the distinct privilege of having an over-sensitive ignition sensor. The average user, when inserting the key, will hear the click-click-click that a dead battery causes. What's actually happening is that the ignition sensor is not picking up on the FOB signal. For awhile, we thought it was because we were using the Amazon FOB (despite being the exact same shape, size and style, and having the original electronics inside it). We couldn't test with the 2nd key, because both the original FOBs have broken, and one we just trashed (long story). However, we recently found our original valet key, and so we were able to test the ignition with it. Same problem! Average person would get the dead battery sound, but my wife knows the exact way to hold, wiggle, and maneuver the key such that it starts up no problem. It's a brain dead design prone to issues upon issues, and has likely causes a lot of CRV owners to spend more money than they should have. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix, as the dead battery sound does not always mean a dead battery.

We have the same problem with my wife's 2017 CRV. Sometimes it just clicks, then later it will start. New heavy-duty battery fully charged.

10

Mr. Miller, Inside the car is another power distribution and fuse box. In this box there is a relay which controls the starter solenoid. That relay is probably bad. Over time the relays contact get worn out which leads to this type of intermittent problem. The relay in question is fairly small. Maybe 3/8 x 9/16 x 1/2 and has four prongs (connection blades). I hope this fixes your issue, the relay can be purchased for $10 while many places sell it for $25.

drag along a spare battery.

Now i have 12007km on our crv. Works well so far. The best car i had for a long time. I hope it works many many years and km to. Happy summer 2018.