CAN I ADD A TRAILER TOW PACKAGE FROM DEALER THAT IS AS GOOD AS THE TRAILER TOW PACKAGE THAT COMES FROM THE DODGE FACTORY?

30

Asked by Feb 06, 2015 at 05:09 PM about the 2015 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD

THE DODGE DURANGO THAT WE ARE LOOKING AT DOES NOT COME WITH A
HEAVY DUTY TOW PACKAGE FROM THE FACTORY.  THE DEALER STATES THAT
THEY CAN INSTALL THE SAME HEAVY DUTY TOW PACKAGE AT THE
DEALERSHIP AS GODD AS/SAME AS THE FACTORY.  TRUE OR FALSE?

True, The dealer would use genuine Mopar/ Chrysler parts, and do it to factory specifications. It won't be cheap, but will be quality

65,465

Might be False, many trailer tow packages have higher output alternator, larger radiator, different rear gear, larger battery and other items. Since I am not up to speed with Dodge I don't have information on every item that is included with a trailer tow package, but the dealership in my opinion is full of crapola. They are not about to install all the necessary items.

65,465

Also adding dealer installed items will not change the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating and the combined vehicle gross weight ratings found on the door or door post. It is possible that you would be over the legal towing weight with the dealer installed trailer tow package. Being overweight may have legal consequences if you were involved in an accident and someone's attorney found out. My advise to you is to purchase a vehicle that is equipped correctly for your intended purpose.

30

Called around and was told from the dealers that they could install the tow bar but the rear load leveling suspension would have to have been installed at the factory. Bob you were right, would not come as a package as stated on the window sticker.

65,465

Sometime even wiring, suspension, brakes and even computer programming is involved. Factory is the best way.

I stand corrected. Makes sense.

65,465

I fully believe the dealership can add some parts to increase the towing ability, but to make it the same as the factory towing package? They are blowing smoke up someone's rear end.

It seems doubtful. We bought a 2016 Durango Limited specifically to tow our 5,300lb travel trailer. The first question I asked the salesman during the test drive was what the tow rating was, without hesitation he said "6,200lbs" later we learned that's only with a factory equipped tow package, without it it's 3,500lbs. I've found many others with the same problem. The dealer - Port City Chrysler Dodge in Portsmouth NH refuses to do anything about it. I'm a disabled person and I used all my savings as did my Fiance to escape the cold NH winters as advised by our Dr.'s. Our plan has been ruined due to misrepresentation of towing capacity - we'll have to find a way to buy another. NEVER buy from Port City - they've hung up on us and never returned calls, a lawsuit is a must if we can pay for one.

there is a lot more to the trailer package than just adding a hitch. The wiring ssytem includes trailering, the readiator capacity is more, the battery cold cranking amps is larger, the vehicle will have a cooler to the transmission, the gear ratio to the rear ens is different. also, my vehicle has a lower gear (transmission) thats included in the shifter, for towing only. I would not but a vehicle that you are planning on towing something heavy reguraly without the factory installed package.

20

The factory so called heavy duty cooling radiator only holds a half quart of coolant more. Alternator and battery are more powerful by a not so important amount. Gears are the same unless you go v8. Load leveling air bags are available got them and trans cooler had factory but replaced with slightly larger.