ABS Sensor

115

Asked by May 19, 2011 at 09:56 PM about the 1997 GMC Jimmy 4 Dr SLE 4WD SUV

We just bought this 1997 GMC Jimmy through Ebay. Been replacing things that are wrong. Got just about everything fixed, but the ABS light is on. So I have borrowed a Snap On scanner and got into the ABS system. It was complaining about the Left Front wheel sensor. So I picked up a new one and now I am confused. The new one is the style where it is connected to the backing plate. and reads off from the brake disk.

However, the one that is on the truck is the style where it takes the reading off from the wheel bearing. Now this is the odd thing. It appears like this was rigged because you can see where they cut the old sensor off from the backing plate.

So, here is my question. Would this work or does this sensor have a different voltage range which is why the computer is complaining? If it will work, how do I figure out what sensor I should be getting? If this won't work, how do I change it back? I am guessing that I would need to replace the bearing correct? I would also need to get a new brake disk since this one does not have the sensor ring on it.

I love used vehicles. Amazing the Frankenstein's I have had in the past!

115

Forgot to mention to, I pulled the passenger wheel off and that one has the style with the sensor on the backing plate and the ring on the brake disk. I noticed that this brake disk appears to be held on with the axle hub nut and the drivers side is just held on with the lug nuts and caliper.

115

Looking through some websites, it appears like the ABS ring is actually on the hub assembly and not the brake disk. So in theory, if I buy a new hub assembly, that is all I should need since I already have the backing plate with the sensor correct? On the passenger side I couldn't get the rotor off from the hub so I assumed it was all one piece, but perhaps it is just rusted on there? I didn't try real hard to remove it.

135

my abs came on just slowing down to pull into the shop for no reason so i just unpluged the abs sensor and filled the hole where the light is with black paint i had the gages out to fill the seatbelt and check engine light holes

335

you got the wrong rotor when someone did the brake job they did'nt check to see if the exciter ring was on the back of the rotor tbs module is counting the wrong speed of that wheel