What is a responable range to pay for Ad fees?

Asked by Jun 27, 2015 at 09:05 AM about the 2015 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT FWD

I'm in the middle of negotiations for a car. They want to charge $845 for ad and dealer cost fees. I'm thinking $845 seems a little steep!

Are you buying a new or used car? Is this a mainstream dealer or a smaller used car dealer? Usually "dealer fees" range between $500 and $1000 dollars so $845 sounds accurate.

You could always just agree to the $845 and work them down somewhere else in the deal. Perhaps including and extended warranty or at a reduced price? How about a maintenance package to recover the $845? Try for 5 years of free oil changes, it's worked for me before. If the dealer really needs the sale, they will work with you to find some way to make you happy. If not, be ready to walk away and go somewhere else, and tell them that. They don't negotiate, get up walk out and don't look back. The key is to actually walk away. They will try to get you back, they always do.

Stanford really hits the nail on the head. Literally get up and walk out, I have had a salesman literally chase me waving papers when a dealer tried to steal my Trade-in..offered my $3k for a $10k car--and I fully understand you will never get full value on a Trade-In but that was insulting, not my first rodeo. There are plenty of car dealers, and the salespeople know that too. Don't be unreasonable in your negotiations, they need to make money. But charging you for their advertisements..? Is the what 'Ad fee' is? If so baloney on that. If $845 is the dollar figure over invoice --what they have to pay GM....that is quite reasonable. Pay attention to Stanford, and the extras.. he obviously knows what he is talking about

Thanks FordNut. I used to sell cars but got out of the business because of some of the tactics that the dealers would use to legally steal cars from customers and put them in new cars that they couldn't afford.

Yep. It shows that you know about this. That's what I meant about 'steal' my Corolla, this was in 2012 and I still have it, they made TWO big mistakes. First, the $3k offer for trade in. But we almost never got that far, when I went there I told them I wanted to test drive a V6 Camry. i was a serious buyer. But the salesman said, "No, you don't want that. What you want is the 4 cylinder" Salespeople DON'T tell me what I want/ I tell THEM.

What state do you live in? Those fees are extremely high. In Indiana we can not charge over $150 for doc fees.

The great corrupt state of Illinois. It was doc fees in addition to ad fees and something else, but I forgot what it was. Someone posted awhile ago that it can range from $500 to $1000. We already bought the car, so I guess is doesn't really matter now! LOL.

Geez, just bought my car used in canada, got it for sticker price which was 5k+ below Fair price and got them to wave all extra fees, paid only taxes on sticker price.