1988 gmc jimmy.engine screeching help?

5

Asked by Apr 28, 2016 at 01:16 AM about the 1988 GMC Jimmy 2 Dr STD 4WD SUV

After changing water pump,I got screeching.tried to adjust belts.channged and
adjusted belts.now have screeching for 1 to 2 seconds and high rpm.can you
help???

1,610

If you think its belts and they are adjusted right, go buy belt spray for slipping belts. It does work if even for a while.

35,525

Did you get the correct belts? Did you get the correct water pump? Are the pulleys aligned (very important). Belt spray should not be needed as a properly aligned, sized, tightened and installed belt will not make noise.

Best Answer
5

Thanks for responding but I'm still at a loss At this point in afraid to drive her

1,610

Be real CAREFULL and get a mechanics stethascope, a long screwdriver, even a steel rod. Have someone accelerate till you hear sound, then put it to your ear and the other end as close & as safely as you can to where you think sound is coming from. You can then isolate area. Did you try things we suggested? If so what happened?

35,525

You could have a bad water pump. The impeller may be loose rubbing on something or the new water pump could have a bad bearing. Try to isolate the noise and if it is near or at the water pump it may be necessary to replace it. Also take a close look at the belt tennsioner as they can sometimes make some strange noises. One other thing you can try is to remove all the belts to see if the noise goes away, but don't run the engine for more than a minute or so with the belts removed.

5

I've changed water pump 3 times.belts are correct.when I first start her the noise screeching comes on for 1 or 2 seconds and then noise is coming from passenger side of motor.im lost

35,525

Could be the A/C compressor also.

1,610

Did u try my suggestion?

1,610

Just was thinking why not take to a mechanic clse by to just look at it and tell you, even someone who kinda knows cars.