front brakes sticking? or trans problem???

Asked by Oct 17, 2012 at 10:22 PM about the 2000 GMC Jimmy 4 Dr SLE SUV

Alright, I'm strongly assuming this is a brake issue because it started as soon as I changed both front
pads on my Jimmy... took the car for a test drive around the block and after a couple stops, the car
did not want to take off right away when gas was applied and felt like it was sticking/sluggish...

Figured it was the caliper pistons sticking so went out and bought brand new calipers with new pins
(everything greased)... another test drive and it's still doing it! Put the car in Drive and it has no
reaction and feels extremely sluggish and held back... but is completely fine in reverse... ALSO, what I
found strange was that it reacts a little better in gears 1, 2, and 3 (still sluggish though). but when in
drive it's the worst...

I've tried to search and search for this issue on the internet and can only find people recommending
new hoses (which i still need), and calipers. Car was driving COMPLETELY normal and was peppy and
reacted fine in all gears...

Any ideas what this is???? It's annoying.

33,985

Any noise? Removing all the stuff for the brakes may have knocked a wheel bearing off its last leg. Did you set the parking brakes when you replaced the front brakes? It may have stuck. The reason it does better in reverse is because reverse is a taller gear ratio than first causing more power at the wheels which makes it move easier.

18,505

Dont know if this helps but my 96 Jimmy with the 4l60e felt like i was pulling a house only in "2" all other gear were fine. Maybe your beake lines are collapsing. The soft rubber lines like to do that. If they were old then flexing them doing the brake job could have finished one or both off. Jack up the front wheels and see how they spin, then while hitting the brakes, then after.