I noticed my rear pass. Wheel sticking out past the wheel wells 2 inches and sitting at an angle , what caused this could it have anything to do with the transmission being recently rebuilt ?

Asked by Jan 31, 2015 at 03:41 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

Bob Beaman

When the transmission was removed the person that did the work may have left something loose. Be sure not to drive it until it is repaired.

Yes it seems very dangerous and very expensive , is there anyway to positively connect this with the r and r on the transmission ? To me itd too much of a coincdence ?

Nothing to do with transmission,Jack it up and wiggle wheel top and bottom. I think you'll find hub bearing out very common on vetts.good luck. Oh not a fun job.

Bob Beaman

It has to do with the suspension or wheel bearing, these parts were removed when they did the transmission. Maybe something was not properly tightened.

Take it back to the shop that did the work to correct the issue.

Transmission rear wheel? Had my own shop for quite awhile and brake job causes engine miss adj lifters causes lighter not to work fix headlite stop lites quit working , see where I'm going Tom? I'd take it back and ask them but one thing doesn't have anything to do with other.Thanks

Bob how come you mess with rear end except driveline removal to r/r trans? I've never had to and I've got a few under my belt in 46 plus years a few with chevy ford international own shop and county job.

Bob Beaman

Johnerman, the transmission on C5 and C6 Corvettes is attached to the rear differential and is NOT bolted to the engine bell housing. I have a 2006 Corvette and know this to be fact. The transmission is attached to the engine via a torque tube that contains a drive shaft. It is necessary to remove the rear suspension and the rear differential to get to the transmission, therefore it is likely that the shop doing the transmission work left a suspension part loose. http://www.corvette- web-central.com/CorvetteC5Differential.html

John Carson

Bob your correct. My first intuition would be a bearing bracket not tightened or the axle coming lose and sliding out. Do not drive the car, have it wowed back to the shop that did the work. I've never worked on that year of car, but did some on Porches, Very complicated and precise linkage to get it all correct.