I have a 1969 Chevy Corvette. I have rebuilt or replaced almost every thing. I have not replaced the original A/C compressor but converted it to the new Eco friendly freon. I had it tested three times, had the cooler boxes cleaned out, fan replaced, yet I have trouble getting the car cool. I live in So. Cal. where it is a necessity of life to have the A/C work as good as when new from the factory. I put in heat/sound shielding under the floor mats, and had all components check for proper functioning. I was thinking of going to a serpentine belt system that would get the newest A/C compressor with the system. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions?

Asked by Apr 04, 2013 at 07:08 PM about the 1969 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

The A/C system does not leak, holds the proper pressure

there is a drier that must be replaced before suction evacuating then filling with the refrigerant~ study up on the properties of automotive air conditioning before you undertake this endeavor~

Dear Judge_Roy_Beans, I had the car taken to an A/C shop for the testing and changing the freon. I can only assume they changed or replaced the dryer. I was told all the components were checked and repaired/replaced. I had a great A/C repair shop that did top of the line custom work and a reasonable price but the economy ran them off to Las Vegas.

So this Eco-friendly refrigerant is the bomb? or like a bomb to your cooling system?

Best Answer Mark helpful

Get a thermometer and check the temperature of the air coming out of the center A/C vent on the dash. The fan should be set on high, temperature lever at full cold, mode lever set to A/C (not "inside" or "max"), and engine idling. If the air temperature is at least 30° cooler than the outside air temperature your system is operating at peak efficiency. Remember cars from this era did not have high volume blower motors. This will make a difference in your comfort level. Also, you might try running the system on maximum in extreme heat & humidity. This way the cabin air is recirculated and the passenger compartment will get noticeably cooler for you. HTH. -Jim

Judge_Roy_Beans, and Js0816. I am not the one to judge, but my other three cars have the new freon, and they do not seems as efficient as my older GM cars I have owned with the older style freon. When the car was new, when the hoses didn't burn from being directed on top of the exhaust manifold, frost would develop on the center vent. I never had to leave it on high. Now on high or in the "inside/max" mode, it is barely comfortable, and I still have sweat beads on my shirt. I'll try the temp gauge, but will a newer style compressor be the answer? Or should I gut the entire system and put in all new parts?

Also, double check with the new freon's manufacturer. You may need less or more than your car originally called for. Same goes for the amount and type of oil you need. I personally doubt changing to a more modern compressor will be the solution. Those R6 compressors worked quite well. HTH. -Jim

the amount of refrigerant is a delicate business as the properties of the condenser side and the evaporator side must be matched, yes califcarson icing up will occur if there is insufficient refrigerant, and the line isn't properly insulated~

Thanks all, it will be helpful when I go back to get it working.

califcarson, definitely get the best out there, don't screw around, this CAN mean your health~

http://www.classicautoair.com/68_76_Corvette_Air_Conditioning_Che vy_AC.html

$1379 not too bad where your health is concerned~