1977 corvette has been sitting since 1988 what do i do to get it back on the road??

zachharris
60

Asked by Jun 07, 2013 at 11:54 AM about the 1977 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

1977 Chevy Corvette 1 owner since purchase in fall of 1976 less then 17k miles nothing
has been changed still has factory tires. it has been sitting tho since 1988 it looks like
a a brand new car ( minus the dust, and low tire pressure ) here soon i will be the
second owner thanks to the wife's grandmother knowing my love of cars. now i know
basic stuff on cars enough to kinda get buy but this car is in need of a few things to get
it back on the road. so i need to know what i should do orwhat it needs done. to make
it another 36yrs well at 2020 cause then my daughter can take care of it then?

96,905

I would empty and flush fuel tank, change oil, change all belts and hoses, and drain radiator. if radiator fluid has a rusty look i would probably go ahead and change water pump. With it having set for so long I would also look into changing the plugs, wires and dist cap. Now this is just for starters.

Best Answer
zachharris
60

theres more o man. i will have the car here in like to weeks got a spot in the garage just for it. so i expect to be working on it for some time. so any more suggestions would be great. thank you for youre answer.

96,905

Don't forget to inspect the brakes. Would be a good idea to go ahead and replace the pads, calipers and rubber hoses going to calipers. If auto trans I would change its fluid and filter also. Don't let all this overwhelm you. None of its all that hard just take your time and you will be able to return this car back to its glory and be able to enjoy it for many years to come.

Denis Sagendorf
425

BE SURE TO TAKE EXTRA CARE WHEN INSPECTING THE BRAKE SYSTEMS. FROM MASTER CYLINDER, ALL LINES WHEEL CYLINDERS THE COMBINATION VALVE. IT'S AN IN LINE ITEM. AND ALSO THE HARDWARE. TAKE YOUR TIME AND BE METHODICAL & LOGICAL. AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!

96,905

That's right. 77 model you probably going to have wheel cylinders and not calipers.

zachharris
60

i greatly appreciate youre answers im sure ill have many more to come thanks again guys very helpful

R_DAVID
65

I would add to remove spark plugs and add a good spray of penetrating oil to each cylinder, leave the plugs out and let the oil work for a day or so and then turn the engine over from the harmonic damper bolt on the crank to make sure it is free. Once you can turn it manually, hook up a new battery and, after changing oil and filter spin it with the starter until you get oil pressure. Then replace the plugs and after the fuel system is clean, fire it up.

John Carson
10,405

My 69 Vette sat from 88 to 72. I of course did a lot of parts replacement. I would remove the plugs, spin the motor and get the oil moving throughout the engine. Replace ALL filters, drain and clean the gas tank. new belts and hoses throughout, have a break shop check the breaking system, replace with new, not rebuilt anything, and there is no need to go the most expensive, but good trusted parts. Complete fuel line and enjuctor flush. New battery, and once running, expect to have oil leaks around the valve covers, and possible trans and or rear end maybe. Make sure the drive line bearings in the yokes are still free turning, and the wheel bearings are greased and good. New tires for safety sake is an absolute must. All little vacuum hoses need replacement, fresh window washer fluid, and remove the old CD collection. Wash, wax n polish, leather treatment, clean windows and then enjoy. You have a new Vette for a little money, and a lot of good work. Pictures?

zachharris
60

Thank you for the information. What should I do about the interior as I was looking it over I noticed cracks in the red leather (the car is silver) I don't currently have any photos but will soon and will post thanks for all the very helpful information

John Carson
10,405

Put some good leather oil on it. Go to a furniture store and ask what they have for old leather treatments. Car parts places also has leather seat rejuvenation stuff. The seats may be just dried out, and the oils, like mink oil I believe, will help get it back in good shape. If the cracks are all the way through, it can be hand sewn for repair. Really bad, have it re-skinned with new covers if the treatment does not work. Have fun, and enjoy. It really should last you your life time. Subscribe to "Vette" magazine, it always has helpful hints on repairs and products for your car.

John Carson
10,405

Except the 68 to 71 years for the C-3 Corvettes, I think your year always has been the best year for total looks with the "rubber baby buggy bumpers" instead of chrome bumpers. (Corvette owner inside joke. Not meant to insult, please.)

John Carson
10,405

dandyoun This was your answer. "That's right. 77 model you probably going to have wheel cylinders and not calipers. " ALL Corvettes since 1964 have had four wheel disk brakes. All disk brakes have calipers. They do have parking brake cylinders in the rear rotors but I think they are spring and wire activated. I also guess I had several spelling errors on my answer above, brakes, not breaks, and injectors not enjuctors. Don't answer questions before coffee. My apologies.

unuck
0

I have a 1977 and love the drive ,4 speed standard L82 4 disc brakes and turns heads no matter where I go.