I have a 1988 sunbird that starts and runs fine for about 15 minutes then starts cutting out and finally dies and wont restart till it sits for awhile someone said my computer was bad?

Asked by May 13, 2013 at 02:46 PM about the 1988 Pontiac Sunbird SE

Runs fine till warm then starts sputtering and after a few minutes wont stay running and
seems cpl of the plugs are foulded out badly then will restart after 30 minutes or so when
it cools down someone told me the computer is bad any helpful ideas?

yes...what we used to have in the olden days was a heat riser and butterfly choke...I believe yours has throttle body injection who's air/fuel mix is determined by sensors...thought it was as simple as an ambient temp sensor but the level of technology keeps pointing me to an oxygen sensor, which if bad would issue a CEL (check engine light) but since none appears, and the 02 seems to be doing it's job, am going to have to point to leaking cracked split vacuum hoses...yours are butyl rubber, replace with silicone, which are available in shops just have to ask for silicone vacuum tubing...every BMW uses these, used to steal them and replace with butyl (dishonest) at our less-than- savory shop in Berkeley-

hey...here it is, the intake temperature sensor....clearly yours is bad...replace~

you may as well toss a new coolant temperature sensor out there too- >>>http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQPontiacQQSunbirdQ Q4- SeasonsQQCoolant_Temperature_SensorQQ19881990QQFS36403.html

30

I'm now having a similar issue on a 1993 Sunbird, 2.0. Please post any updates with your vehicles situation. It will be appreciated. I will post if I discover any resolutions. Thanks.