Turn Signal Issues

Asked by Mar 25, 2015 at 04:28 PM about the 1984 Chevrolet S-10 STD Standard Cab SB

I have seen all sorts of fixes for these types of things, but I have tried just about everything
I can think of, or can find on the google. So I am at a loss, and need some help. Its a '84
S10, 2WD single cab, 1.9L 4cyl, 4spd Manual.

Issue is: Left turn signal is the culprit...at least I think it is. When the head lights are off, I
put the turn signal into the left position, and in the console, it shows the left arrow blinking
and clicking like it should, however, you go outside and look at all the lights, it looks like
the hazards are flashing. A guy at advanced said that the hazard light switch (on the
column) may need to be tightened. Tightening it did nothing. Now the next problem, when
the head lights are on, hitting the left turn signal gives me that notorious problem where
the signal lights just stay on, no blinking, no clicking, just stay on. That one, made me
think it was the flasher, but alas, I replaced that, no dice. Fuses are good, grounds look
good. I don't think it is a short, all the wires are pretty well protected by those sleeves you
see around wire bundles. The only thing I can think of, is I recently changed out most of
the outer bulbs, including, reverse lights, (one) of the brake lights, parking lights, signal
lights, etc. I left the head lights alone. Since I only changed one brake light, could that
possibly be the case and I should just change out the other one? I may as well I guess but
I am not sure that will fix it. My only other thought is to replace the turn signal switch in the
stearing column, but not sure if that will fix it either.  Help!

Check to see if you have a trailer plug at the rear, if so check the trailer plug breakout (where the plug ties into the wire harness) unplug it from the harness and reattach the factory harness

Also did you change the right flasher, there are 2 of them, one for the 4ways one for the signals.

Sounds like paths are crossed sonewhere. Trailer harness is a good place to start. Putting a single phase but where a dual goes is another good way to make this happen. Both rear turn signal/brake bulb and front turn signal are dual phase bulbs. Either 1157 or 3157's.

Best Answer

I have changed out both flashers, to no avail. as for the trailer harness, I dont see one. is there a specific spot I should be looking? Because I am not seeing anything. the only wiring I am seeing is from the license plate bulbs, and the taillights, but no trailer harness. My only next guess would be to change out the switch in the steering column, but I dont think that is it. I did notice that the front left turn signal bulb goes on if I hit the left turn signal (along with all the others as if hazards were on), but it goes off as soon as I turn on the headlights, the front left turn signal (the one right next to the head light) goes off, and everything else stays on, no clicking, no blinking...

Ammendment: Actually it is the exact opposite...with the headlights off, no blinking on the front left signal, but hazards flash. It does turn on with the headlights, but again, with headlights on, all the signal lights turn on, but no blinking...

Have you checked the grounds on each light? Use a test light ground it to a good ground(Battery if close), then probe the inside of the socket with the turn signal on the test light should flash. If no luck pull the bulb then probe each contact the one for the turn signal should flash because you completed the circuit Each bulb has 3 wires one go's to the parking light phase one to the turn sig/4way then the ground GM lights usually black is ground Make sure your not trying to use the 4 ways or left them on trying to find problems in the turn signal. If you come up dry on all of these then it might be time to change the turn signal switch

Thanks Andrew! Turns out it was one of the bulbs I replaced. Put a single phase in the left brake light...needed a double phase. Didn't think of that light being the issue. Thanks again everyone!

Austin Reist

I have the same problem on my 93 s10 blazer 4x4 but my dashlights also blink when the blinker is on or when I hit my brakes and also my brake lights are always on

Sounds like the turn signal switch

Austin Reist

when my key is in and the vehicle is not running I turn my blinker on and while everythingis flashing it also pulsates my fuel pump while the lights are blinking

That is one of those problems that has to be seen in person. I would look to the key switch some of those old ones used to fall apart inside causing all kinds of weird things

Roger Scray

2000 s10 left directional worked but did not work. Two lights flash in front and one in rear but only one flashed in front. I changed the flasher behind glove box, still no results. It would flash but then would not flash. Looked at trailer harness and it came apart in my hand. Removed it and all flash now. Trailer harness was culprit.

Brent Gunder

Im having a similar problem I have a 95 s10 ls 4.3 v6, recently replaced the hazard switch as it had snapped off.I pulled the old switch out and put a new one in it.Now every time that I use turn signals or turn my brights on, it makes my rear lights blink as if the hazards were on, while the front lights do not blink and the dash lights do not come on telling me that the hazards are on.Not sure if there is a short in the wire or what's going on.

B.j. Smiddy

I'm having the same problem as Brent ^^^

B.j. Smiddy

I just didn't change anything but the bulbs

Why would my 91 S-10 turn on the hazards when I turn on my right blinker?