89 5.8 hard to start and die out right after start

10

Asked by Jun 06, 2015 at 02:23 PM about the 1989 Ford F-250 XL Standard Cab 4WD LB

I am having problems with my 5.8 it did not want to run after starting i installed plugs with
gap of .044 along with new cap and rotor. Now it is harder to start and will die out after
starting. I can keep it running by feathering the fuel but it has no power and back fires. I
have check the plug gap, firing order what else might be the problem

17,600

Sounds more like a fuel problem not a firing problem. That year does have a throttle body right ?

10

all fuel pumps check out, filter ok and pressure regulator ok what else if it fuel. also tps is ok

17,600

Is it a throttle body is a fuel injected carb ? If a throttle body clean with throttle body spray and if carb spray down in carb like the older vehicles. Could be very dirty also would not hurt to add fuel injection cleaner to gas tank.

10

i had all ready spray it down but i used carb cleaner not throttle body cleaner did not know there was a difference in the 2. but by mistake when i first started to clean it up i was using brake cleaner by mistake did i mess something up?

17,600

Was the vehicle running good before you made the mistake of using brake cleaner.

10

not really but it had been setting for months. when i replaced the cap and rotor they were in sad shape and i have also notice after all of this that the alt meter is not shown a charging state. the vehicle only has 70k miles it was never ran much it was bought new dec 88

17,600

As far as using carb cleaner instead of throttle body should not hurt that bad may be your check engine light might come on from O2 sensor but the brake cleaner is whole different story. First I would remove spark plugs one at a time then spray throttle body cleaner into each cylinder spray for 2 - 3 seconds make sure straw does not go into cylinder then spray throttle body again and try to start. If does not catch first time do the procedure again. Can not promise it is going to work but that is what I would try.

17,600

You are not going to get a true reading on the alternator until you get the vehicle running steady.

10

ok i will try that tomorrow evening thanks

10

I,m still chasing even check the cat conv it is not plugged. My next step i thank will be the comp of the cyl. unless someone has a better ideal.

17,600

How does your air filter look ? And if you have a ( mass air flow sensor ) try cleaning that with some mass air flow cleaner. If you do not know how to clean Google your question and it will take you to sites that will show you how.

10

Air filter is new along with the crankcase filter and the mass air flow sensor has been cleaned but due to work and weather I still have not check the compression