How do I order the correct distributor for my 1989 Mazda 323 SE Hatchback ? There seems to be a variety.

Asked by Oct 05, 2014 at 01:26 AM about the 1989 Mazda 323 SE Hatchback

First of all, when my car runs, it runs great. Over the last 2 years or so, having some
problems with aftermarket distributors being not exactly what I need. My mechanic has
been great  for the last 15 years and he's baffled ! Do I need to provide my computer #-
B6K2 to get the right one ? On the plaque on the firewall, below" Made in Japan" the #
is 8595B. My car barely made it home with a new distributor...but with the cap from my
old distributor ! It wouldn't even start with the new cap on the new distributor. Someone
please help if you can...300,000+ miles and I still get 30m.p.g. !   Thanks,

This is why I never turn in a core for the core charge. First let me say that I work for NAPA so I know how this works. I also have had some (bad) personal experience with this type of problem. When you buy a rebuilt part from any auto parts store or dealer's parts department you're not getting exactly the same part number that was on your car when it left the factory. It could be for another year or model and 99% of the time the part that you get will work just fine. If the rebuilder didn't remove the original part number that's engraved on the distributor have your mechanic jot it down and research it. You'll find out exactly what year, make and model vehicle the distributor was originally on. I once bought a rebuilt carburetor for my '70 Pontiac Catalina. The car would NOT run correctly unless it had Rochester model 7040060 carburetor on it. After receiving 7 rebuilt units from 3 different stores I finally got a 7040060 carburetor from a junkyard and had it rebuilt. BTW that specific model number translates as follows: 704= Rochester, Pontiac, 0=1970, 060=federal emissions, automatic transmission, non-altitude. Now, on the other hand when I replaced the starter with a rebuilt unit, for the same car, the rebuilt starter had originally been on a 1968 Oldsmobile. But it worked just fine. When I replaced The distributor on that same car the rebuilt unit was originally from a 1969 Chevy. I had to replace the vacuum advance unit on the distributor before I installed it. Then it too worked fine. See if you can get a new, not rebuilt, distributor for your Mazda. If not, get a correct one from the junkyard, with the exact original equipment part number, and have that one rebuilt. HTH. -Jim