1988 Chysler LeBaron convertible, analog dash. after pushing trip reset to zero, odometer no longer works, but speedometer does???

Asked by Apr 05, 2015 at 02:39 PM about the 1988 Chrysler Le Baron Base

odometer  and speedometer were working until  pushed the trip reset button to zero trip.
After that the speedometer wworks but the odometer doesn't??/ When i pushed the reset,
it might have felt a little stiffer than usual. This is an analog dash. Is there a gear in the
speedometer that engages the odometer?? If so , do they break ,and what needs to be
replaced, thegear or the speedometer???

I final discovered that when I pushed the reset button, some teeth broke off a nylon gear so vthe odometer would not moove any longer. I was able to get a replacement gauge cluster. I found a place on the inernet to buy the new gear, and replace the cluster with the original one showing the proper mileage. I now have a gauge cluster to sell.

From where did u purchase an entire gauge cluster? I cannot find anywhere for 88 LeBaron

I think I found the last one in Canada (seriously). I just started calling auto wreckers and found one in Thunder Bay, Ontario. In Canada the large wreckers have an internet network for parts but none were showing on it., so I started calling ones that weren't on the system. The one that I got is out of a '88 Daytons, but '87 - '89 are the same as '87 to ''89 Lebarons. I have repaired my original cluster and have one for sale. It shows 191,000 K, but works great. If your problem is the same as mine was, I can give you the name of the company that I got the gears from.