1995 Chrysler Lebaron convertible won't go in reverse and will only go forward a few feet then stops.

10

Asked by Apr 21, 2016 at 09:53 PM about the 1995 Chrysler Le Baron GTC Convertible

A family member has a 1995 Chysler Lebaron Convertible which has been
well maintained & serviced at the dealership. Car has a little over 100,000
miles. Car now will not go in reverse and will will only drive forward a few
feet then stops going forward. If you shut the car off, wait a few  minutes
and restart the car, it will do the same thing.  Any idea's as to what is the
problem and how much it would cost to fix it?

1,610

when you go forward a few feet than it stops, can you still accelerate the engine? if you can its probably the trans. probably about on the avg. about $1500. to fix. but i would get a few estimates if even by phone. just make sure you know your mechanic somehow and compare. also whats the warranty they offer. usualy i prefer my trans being rebuilt rather than used or swapping for another.

Best Answer
10

Yes, the car engine still accelerates. The car was purchased last year from an elderly woman, who always kept it garaged/well maintained. Records show the dealership changed the transmission filter and fluid in 2007. There was only a little over 3000 miles put on it by 2015 (mileage 100.300). The car drove great last year and this year until this happened. Tried the cruise control for the first time, which didn't work, the day this happened. The car is at a transmission shop right now. The mechanic has 40 years experience and has a good reputation. He said the pressure is O.K. and thinks it is mechanical. He said, if it needs to be rebuilt, then it will cost $1400.00 to rebuild it. He guarantees his work for the life of the car.

1,610

Life of the car!? That sounds to good to b true! Never heard of that. Just get it in writing. Best to ya!

10

Yes, you are absolutely right! Thanks!