89 allante computer stops working while driving and sounds like transmission start to slip until it comes back on

Asked by Feb 13, 2015 at 05:16 PM about the 1989 Cadillac Allante Base Convertible

8,795

The problems may not be related. Have the transmission checked first. Has the filter and fluid been changed as often as they should.? What functions of the computer stop working? The center stack of gauges do fail with time. Dick Hussey at Allante Source keeps a good supply of these on hand.

Best Answer
60

My 89 Allante is doing the same thing. The engine control system fault light illuminates on the DIC and the transmission starts to lock up and slip. Looking on line, it looks like an ECM issue. My transmission was rebuilt 16 months ago and had its yearly maintenance done just 3 months ago With no issues. I'm going to replace the ECM and hope for the best.

8,795

Before you spend to much money - contact Johnny Monzo at itsonlyluv@comcast.net He can diagnose the problem for you and most likely will have any parts that you need.

20

i just changed the oil on my 1992 Allante and the computer keeps telling me to change the oil, also, when it is hot outside, i live in Texas, the speedometer goes crasy showing numbers tha dont make sence,today , when i am trying to turn the AC on , the control board wont work, and i know the AC doens not have any problem.my email is cheflecoq@ gmail.com, if some one would be nice to tell me how i can fix it, thisbcar has 71000 original miles and runs so fast, it is a dream.Thank you so much. Phil 817 4754476 cheflecoq@gmail.com