Should we be able to hear the fuel pump prime the system every time we turn the key to the on position?

Asked by Nov 17, 2016 at 09:11 PM about the 1989 Mercedes-Benz 300-Class 300CE Coupe

Car stalls out, and we have to wrestle it to the side of the road.  Very scary!  
We try turning the engine over and over, but it won't start.  After a few
minutes of waiting, we try starting again and the engine fires up.  This can
take a couple of minutes or 5 to ten minutes.  Very frustrating!  Last time it
stalled out we tried listening for the fuel pump to prime the system every
time we turned the key to the on position.  We didn't always hear it prime,
so we were wondering if we should hear it every time?  Thanks for the
help!

74,515

When you don't hear the pump run does the car start?

The very last time this happened, it only seemed to come on every once out of 5 or 6 times I turned the key on. However, it still did not start up right away. It took a while for the engine to start.

I guess I have been able to answer this question myself. I have this car parked in our driveway right now, and I was able to check on this fuel pump question. I've toggled the ignition on and off quite a few times, and every time I heard the fuel pump prime the system. So I'll listen for it when or if the next time our car stalls out. Maybe it's more of an electrical issue. Anyways, I'll update this post when we get a solution.