1986 Toyota pickup won't turn over

Asked by Apr 25, 2015 at 12:30 PM about the 1986 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr Deluxe Standard Cab LB

Have new battery, new starter, new alternator and replaced 80 amp fuse. Why won't it start?

48,565

If you have a standard, it may be the clutch switch. If an auto, the neutral safety switch. Could also be the ignition or bad pickup coils in the bottom of the distributor.

Alext5437 seen your questions . Did you ever figure it out. Mine is doing same thing. Gotta be some switch problem.

48,565

Yota123, try crossing the posts on your starter or just running a hot wire from the battery to the starter. If it starts, you will know it's the ignition switch or the clutch switch. If you want to go cheap and your truck is quite old, just run a push button under the dash. That's what I did on my old '89 4X4 that wouldn't start. I found the ignition wire and connected it to the push button and the other wire to the positive on the battery. Started without fail after that.

Behind the battery is a small fuse panel . You'll notice a plug with a large white wire going into it on the top side. With the key in the on position, run a wire from the battery over to it. If the buzzer and dash lights come on have someone start the vehicle. If this solves the issue splice said wire together with your direct hot wire and you should be able to start the vehicle at the key with no issues. Will post pics soon

Here is the white wire I was talking about.

In my case I ran the wire to the solenoid. Do not run this wire to the small ignition terminal. Best case is from the front large terminaland splice that wire together with the white wire. I pulled the connecter pin and wire, opened the tabs with a pick, added the secondary wire and re crimped it. Vehicle starts every time no issues and no battery drainage. Hope this helps