87 toyota wont turn over

10

Asked by Feb 26, 2016 at 08:16 PM about the 1987 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr SR5 4WD Standard Cab SB

I just bought an 87 toyota pickup 5spd. When you turn the key the starter relay only buzzes and when turning on the blinkers or headlights you hear a buzzing as well, maybe they work maybe they don't

104,285

First do you have about 14 volts at the battery? Are all the connections tight including the ground wire. If these check out ok then look at the starter relay or could be the starter.

10

Test the battery?

10

Battery checks 12.6, New ground cable going from battery to engine block, small wire going to starter only shows 9 volts, if I run a wire straight from battery to the small wire hookup at the starter the motor spins over fine. What does this leave?

10

Motor is not locked up, you said it turned over fine when you applied 12 volts at the starter solenoid. That small wire comes from the starter relay and the ignition switch.. I would look there next. It could be a corroded connection or bad relay contacts causing a loss of full voltage at the solenoid. Also, check the positive cable at starter and battery for clean tight connections.

10

Bob Nueske, Where are you getting a bar on the main crank ? He said when 12 v. applied to the solenoid it would crank over. I believe you are answering the wrong question.

5,465

He at no point said the engine turns over...that's why this question...Don't know what you're seein' here ~ with a rating of ZERO...it surely can be trusted~!

10

Bob, there are nine responses on this question. one day ago, Vern88 stated that motor turned over fine when 12 v. is applied at the small wire connector at the starter. How plain can that be ?? Also, there has been NO mention of a " bar on the main crank " in this thread other than you, You need to read the the entire thread, It makes me wonder just how many of your 1,855 responses have actually been a help. You shouldn't be so arrogant !

39,205

If it's a standard, have you tried the clutch cancel button? Have you tried holding the key to the ON position while someone raps the starter with a hammer to see if it turns over? Give that a try. Your starter may be bad.

5,465

raysbandit, have we even thought that perhaps the timing chain has quit? from personal experience this may not be "curtains"~ I do believe that you might be missing the point here~ of course the motor is not locked up...just wanted affirmation that was still okay...should have asked "Did the distributor turn?"....because we'd know for sure~ go ahead feller...do your worst...and you will find that I know more about cars then the average bear~ actually made it to the top and was competing with DavidH25...when we both got tired of trolls like you with your zero rating...asserting YOUR expert advise here~ YES... did this for a year...and YES..my answers WERE guesses....everytime...unless you can lay a paw on the car at hand...all answers are questions~ too bad Click and Clack the tappet brothers were not here...my guesses would kinda make sense to you...VOTE BERNIE~

10

Good CYA there bob, change directions with your suggestions. This is my 1st time on here and I'm so unimpressed with you. You are the TROLL on this blog. If you didn't have a computer to search with, you couldn't help yourself, let alone anyone else.Oh, buy the way, sorry to hear DavidH25 passed away. I guess that is why he's not on here anymore. Your guesses will never make sense to me. Now, I know why, vote bernie ???, tells me that you are uniformed, socialistic,waiting for someone to take care of you. Try working for a living.

5,465

what is to be accomplished by your abject negativity? ...clearly you prefer corporate thinking and way of life...I am soooo finished with you~ your TEN points are from ME....just cause I believe that everyone gets a chance...mentioned you to ZACH and he says "YOU are excellent...we've got to have YOU out there" if that helps with your judgey judgemental attitude...really you should focus on YOUR OWN life...not a DISABLED MAN who paints and used to be quite a guy in the day...just try fixing EVERY single car on a Sunday...by yourself...or perhaps another guy takin' up the lift and forcing you to work on your knees~ not for me~ am but a cooked goose...fortunately am a bit of a Rembrandt and have learned to keep my chin up and a positive attitude~ perhaps a little self-examination before judgement might be in the program...like any puzzle one must rule out things...it's all a part of this forum~

5,465

the timing chain is broke...not the distributor is not turning and the cams no longer operate..seen it before only in my case broke the timing case....the head gasket will need to be changed...from my experience with a 22r motor~ hope this helps http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/8116-01016349.html? utm_content=YN&utm_term=1985- 1995+Toyota+Pickup+Timing+Gear+Kit+TSU+W0133- 1615278+85- 95+Toyota+Timing+Gear+Kit+1986+1991&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_so urce=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Googl e+Base&gclid=CjwKEAiA8dDEBRDf19yI97eO0UsSJAAY_yCSJzk 8Z_MJPpZlvQt9JORDqDviWzvw19ygsE3Odj36WxoCPULw_wcB &ad=47584901292