How do you change a drivers side seat belt on an 89 MR2?

30

Asked by Nov 29, 2012 at 05:03 PM about the 1989 Toyota MR2 STD Coupe

I have a drivers side seat belt I bought (used) to replace my drivers side belt that is broken.  First of all,
the guy who sold it to me said that the belt will extend when it's installed. This sounded a bit funny to
me.  I asked my mechanic and he had no idea.  I'm afraid to install it in case I screw it up.  It seems fairly
basic but not sure if what I was told about the belt extending and retracting being true or not after I
install it.  Any thoughts?

Hold the assembly firmly, in a vice if possible careful not to crush it, and SLOWLY pull the belt from the retractor. It should come out. If you jerk it it won't , that's the way it's supposed to work. It does not matter if it's bolted to the car, either it will come out or not

30

Thanks DavidH25. That's one thing I haven't tried. It looks likes it's in good working order but like I said, the belt won't retract or extend. I do this over the weekend and let you know how it works out.

Please do. I'd like to know

From what I've heard the mechanism has a magnetic latch inside that prevents it from extending unless it is up against metal (such as the metal part of the car where it is bolted to). So try that perhaps.