Neon radiator issues...

5

Asked by Jun 18, 2011 at 04:16 PM about the 1996 Dodge Neon 2 Dr Highline Coupe

I've just recently started having issues with the radiator fans not working properly. During driving the engine will just shut down and upon pulling over and parking, I'd say after about 5- 10 min she will crank after a number of tries. We have jumped the fan off using a wire in the relay box under the hood and have gotten it to work upon starting the vehicle, but after the engine has cooled to a certain temp the fans kick off and wont come back on again causing the engine to cut off again. I purchased and replaced the old relay with a new one and still this problem, the fans work with the wire(jumping it off), but it will not work with any relay I put in it and I'm talking about relays that I know work because you put them into another slot and it's fine. I even went so far as to buying the ac/rad fan relay... I'm not sure what I'm looking for at this point and any advice would be appreciated.

305

Sounds to me like you have a short in the wiring harness along that circuit. That or maybe your fan motor is the real issue. I have found that, when u are not quite sure about the cause of a problem, get parts from a salvage yard that are guaranteed to work. Then, at least you will have spare parts and emergency break downs are no lomger break downs. I know this gets pricey, especially if you're not sure. Where the root of the problem is. It is so worth it in the long run though. If the fan relay is new, then I'd suspect the fan motor. I have been a Gen 1 Neon owner since 2004 and have had a lot of electrical issues. Once u work those bugs out though, they truly are wonderful cars. :-) If you have any further questions, email me @ bakermobileauto@gmail.com ... yes, I'm also a mobile mechanic.

305

Oh! Also check your coolant temperature sensor. It is located above the transmission on the cylinder head, right next to the cam sensor.