87 honda prelude SI 2.0 automatic chews through batteries (for years..)

Asked by Jan 03, 2014 at 11:12 PM about the 1987 Honda Prelude 2 Dr Si Coupe

My prelude of over 20 yrs has chewed through batteries. I had the respective parts replaced, cylinoid, alternator, belts, and tested by countless mechanics. No one can figure it out.
I take the cable off the terminal (someone suggested this) to elongate battery life but wow if I forget to take if off, and not driver it for a couple of weeks, the battery is dead again.
Any advise? Is this an 'intermittent relay' issue?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0 --- check this out. Perform parasitic draw test to find what's draining your battery

Thank you for the fast response Mark:) I'll ask my mechanic to do this test (parasitic).

Your welcome. Hope you get it figured out. Drive safe.

Daniel Foster

exactly what dandyoun said you have a parasitic draw on your system,, cant believe none of the mechanics knew to or how to test for this, its almost mechanics 101, my only unique suggestion would be to make sure you take it to a shop that specializes in electrical work

Joel Fenger

I had the same problem with an 84 Honda prelude it turned out to be the alarm system

Sure parasitic draw is always a possibility...and you have to consider what remains on when everything else is not! However, consider that the battery is not receiving a full charge do to a bad ground! In this situation, non parasitic, even thought you have a new Alternator, due to the poor main ground, the battery never passes full current. (It is similar to a bad battery connection, but this one bolts to the frame or tranny bell housing. Try it...clean up the connection and remount...simple, and very possible culprit.

You can also create an additional heavy ground lead...from the negative battery terminal to the frame! Easy stuff...and I cannot understate how often it becomes involved in such power gremlin scenarios.