89 SI 2.0 Prelude EGR troubles

10

Asked by Mar 07, 2013 at 06:57 PM about the 1989 Honda Prelude 2 Dr Si Coupe

Can anyone link me where to find a Egr Valve. Ive looked everywhere and the ones i find have a a few wires running to the top. Mine only has a metal tip for the vacuum line. I really need this part. My prelude is in great condition and only has 89xxx original miles. I dont want this car to end up getting junked due to a damn egr valve. Please help this means alot to me. I can post pics upon request

This image is for an Accord. Every Prelude EGR valve on every parts site has the wires you describe. Does it look like this?

How about this

Here are several, all Prelude...you gotta tell me which if any

2

3

wow. this devlish little device is capable of issuing the "dutch oven" if it wants to start giving you performance problems.

--reference the movie "pecker".

The dude made out like it was really important to him...and I put some effort in to trying to help, I figured he would respond..??

...it is just like LOVE, you put it out there...and put it out there...and perhaps you may get a little reciprocation, but acknowledgement should be a conditional to any level of meaningful interaction....else it's who knows, who cares, why bother, time. not my style man.

765

I appreciate the pics you posted David!

You are quite welcome I hope they helped......david

70,315

Try rockauto.com. is it possible the engine in your car was changed? Owing to the different part listing than what you have? HTH. -Jim

our pal Wayne still hasn't chimed in with his report...kinda disconcerting~

10

sorry ive been real busy at work and my child is teething which makes night life chaotic. This does mean a whole lot and i appreciate you taking your time to help... and criticize me for taking so long o reply >_<

10

another

10

^ oxygen advance? throttle control cutoff? thats what ppl have old me

10

another pic of egr

10

damn repost

10

yup

70,315

The second picture looks to me like an EFE (Early Fuel Evaporation) valve. Does it mount near the exhaust manifold? If so, that's what it is. Old timers will call it a heat riser. It's job is to direct hot exhaust gases around the carburetor or throttle body (fuel injection) to prevent ice build up on the throttle plates in cool, damp weather. If it mounts on the side of the carburetor (if not fuel injected) it's your choke pull off. On a carburetor when the engine is cold the choke plate will be completely closed until the engine starts. Once started vacuum is applied to the choke pull off to slightly open the choke so the engine will run. As the

70,315

engine warms up the choke plate opens & the pull off isn't needed until the next cold start. The other pictures are definitely an EGR valve. HTH. -Jim

70,315

Do you have the DOHC or SOHC engine? If not sure what's the eighth character of your VIN? -Jim

70,315

Go to rock auto.com. Look at the EGR valve for a 1984 Prelude with the 1.8. Also, I looked this up at my job(NAPA) we show one with a vacuum hose and electric connection. Have to go back to '84 for just the vacuum hose. No listing for the SOHC engine at NAPA or rock auto though. HTH. -Jim

10

2 is the eight character and i cant find it on that site... im so lost there is way too many names for it. more help finding the part would be great.

take a snap with your digital camera would take the guess work out of it for us!

10

i did... here is another

10

i still have no luck finding this :/

what you mean replacement part? oooo rockauto.com

70,315

Looks like the one rockauto.com shows for an '84 model with the 1.8L. Check it out. Hope that's it! - Jim